cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM PIN issues

Sebastian532
Joining in

I had to change my phone due to the previous one being irreparably damaged in a crash.

I transferred the SIM from the old phone to my new one expecting it to work straight away - it didn't. The new phone was network unlocked so I expected it to work.

I was presented with a request for a "SIM network access PIN", I tried a few different variations; 0000, 1234, and 7890. There was no visible indication of a limit, though now I have discovered there was a limit of 5 attempts. When I phone *#*#7378423#*#* and check the Service Info -> SIM Lock settings I see that I have zero attempts remaining.

What do I do now? Apparently there should be a prompt for a PUK code but it never appears, I just keep being asked for a SIM PIN on booting the phone.

Thanks for any help offered.

3 REPLIES 3

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well, Reading through it seems to me that your replacement phone was not unlocked. As the SIM worked in your previous phone we know that was OK

The problem is phone manufacturers do not use a standard terminology and often use PIN and PUK in reference to the phone and these are not the same as those used for the SIM

I have no idea as to the make and model of your phone but you may now need a manufacturer supplied code to undo the wrong inputs.

Myself, I would let one of these phone repair/ unlocking shops handle it. They have ways and means of getting round these things. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Sebastian532,

If you log into "Your mobile account " at the top of the page you can see your PUK by clicking on the Plan & device tab

https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/plandeviceoverview 

I'm not sure if that will be for the original phone or replacement.

For help with unlocking a mobile from another network see /how-to-unlock-a-phone-a-guide-to-unlocking-mobile-phones 

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sebastian532,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry for any issues you're having with your new handset. 

If you have been through all the attempts and non are left you would need to speak with your handset manufacture to get the handset more attempts. 

Please do let us know if you're able to get more attempts. 

^Martin