cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming virgin mobile in Germany

Bigswampy
Joining in

Hi I have arrived in Berlin Germany on holiday and I forgot to turn ON roaming and set up international call barring to OFF before I left England.

I have now done the above now I’m in Berlin and restarted etc, checked all settings several times etc this but my phone won’t pick up a phone network ? It has been nearly 24hrs? 
can anyone help. ?

2 REPLIES 2

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bigswampy, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here regarding roaming.

As a minimum, we do need to ensure the following have been done: 
You have fully activated roaming on your device.
When putting your SIM card in to another device, are things then working or do you have the same issue?
We also need to check if the SIM toolkit as been switched on:
For an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 
For an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 
It might be worth trying to do a manual network search to see if you can connect to any others and see if that helps. It could be that the network you're connected too maybe doesn't have the best signal where you are. This is out of our control as we don't use our own networks outside of the UK. 
Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 
Thanks

Tom_W

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also remember that 3G is shut down in Germany.

Any calls you make will cause the phone to drop down to 2G as you can't make voice calls over 4G / 5G

I don't know if Virgin will allow VoLTE (Voice over 4G) calls when roaming. I know O2 now do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks