cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming, no audio

kroakie1
On our wavelength

I am currently in Spain and I am having problems with receiving calls. The phone rings but when I answer there is silence, I cannot hear the caller and they cannot hear me. I can call them back and all is good. I have tried my SIM in a different phone and get the same problem. I have a relatively new SIM card and I had the same problem with the old SIM card.

Do you have any suggestions?

41 REPLIES 41

Hi Dave,

Its unclear which network in they use as some say it's a 5 year Vodafone deal. If it is O2 then it's even more annoying as my daughter is with us and she has a Tesco Mobile SIM who use O2 and she can receive UK calls with no problem.

This needs sorting and I am surprised they have let it go unresolved for so long. 

Regards

Steve

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can appreciate the frustration caused,

From what was stated it appears our team are investigating this matter for you stephenkwatts.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

Kain

kroakie1
On our wavelength

Same answer every time. "Our team are looking at the problem".

Virgin are not interested in solving the problem that has been there for over 2 years now.

I found the perfect solution.

Change provider.

Hi Stephen,

From reading various comments on the subject I think that most, if not all, customers are on Virgin’s version of O2 by now. I found this method of finding your provider if you are using an iPhone previously. I tried using OOKLA speed test but it just shows "Virgin" as the provider, after some research I found a code , *3001#12345#* , which if you enter via the phone key pad and tap send gives access to hidden information. In my case ( iPhone 7 ) I get a screen showing " Dashboard" above a Home symbol, tap the symbol on the right hand side ( 3 lines + dots ) and you should get "All Metrics", tap " Virgin" then "RAT" (serving cell info). The top line "PLMN" identifies the carrier, in my case 234 10 ( on Sim issued in July when I joined Virgin ), 2 is Europe, 34 is UK and 10 means O2, EE would be 30 or 33, Vodaphone 15 and Three would be 20. Hopefully this will be helpful to customers who are unsure as to whether they have been transferred to O2 or not. 

Regards,

Dave

and_wise
Joining in

Myself and my wife have the same issue in Spain. She is unable to hear audio on urgent calls from her doctor! We went home to the UK in December 3 weeks ago and contacted Virgin. They sent new SIMs. They also recommended forcing the SIM toolkit to Roaming Manual and International. Guess what?? .... we're back in Spain now and it hasn't worked!! This is such a substandard service for a simple obvious requirement. How is it in any way acceptable for a user in 2022 to be unable to receive calls whilst roaming. It's laughable.  We will have to change providers when we return to the UK in March. Meanwhile I've had to get a local PAYG SIM so I can communicate with the world!

Dear Virgin team, since you are also O2 I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just send us a O2 SIM card which seems to work perfectly fine. BTW I had this issue in August in Spain. Wasted a lot of time testing. Gave up testing after reading the frustration from many other people. I was in October in Greece same problem with the incoming audio. My solution is to hang up any incoming call and call back, which is not really a solution. We know you are aware and you are working on this issue but I would expect a more elaborated answer especially after so many months saying the same thing and wasting the time of many of us doing useless tests. I think you could be a bit more practical and avoid some frustration by documenting this issue somewhere and having a public status report page.

Hey rajido, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some audio issue still.

Unfortunately we can't send a O2 sim out however the Virgin sim does run off the O2 network.

The team are looking into this issues. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Virgin,

I am back in Spain. Same problem. I know you are looking into this issue, but do you have any updates? Could you give us an idea of how long will take to solve this issue?

Regards,

Rafael

Hello Rafael, 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Have you tried a manual network search on the handset?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply

Manual network search does not work. Automatically connected to Movistar. Tried to select manually YOIGO: 'unable to connect' and Orange: 'Your SIM doesn't allow connection to this network'. Manually connected to Movistar, same problem.

If you review this thread or the many that Dave referenced you will realised this is still a pending issue that hasn't been solved for a long time after many people tried everything. Do you know if there is someone in Virgin media working to solve this problem? As far as I understand Virgin recognised this problem. Could you share the status of this problem and when Virgin media is expecting to solve it?

Regards,

Rafael