cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming, no audio

kroakie1
On our wavelength

I am currently in Spain and I am having problems with receiving calls. The phone rings but when I answer there is silence, I cannot hear the caller and they cannot hear me. I can call them back and all is good. I have tried my SIM in a different phone and get the same problem. I have a relatively new SIM card and I had the same problem with the old SIM card.

Do you have any suggestions?

41 REPLIES 41

kroakie1
On our wavelength

Ye, both Virgin SIM cards.

Thank you for that information. I would like to look into this further for you. 

What I will do is private message you to confirm some details. 

^Martin

Nathan, same issue, on Tenerife, 4x mobiles not got speech, called UK helpline as linked on sent didn't work. Guy gave me ultra basic stuff to check that already done. Said he'd phone back in 30 minutes, 24+hrs ago. Ready to go ballistic. 

Still no reply. Fantastic service. You can guess the complaint coming your way when I get back to UK. My cheap pay as you go mobile with major shop just fires up, the 4 Virgins still unable to make / receive calls. This is just what I want to do on holiday.

rajido
Joining in

I am having the same problem. Did Virgin Media solve this problem?

Hi rajido, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community although I am sorry to hear you're having issue's with using your phone abroad. 

As there have been a few different users on this thread, can you confirm the exact issue you're having along with the checks you've already carried out? 

As a minimum, we do need to ensure the following have been done: 

• You have fully activated roaming on your device.
  • When putting your SIM card in to another device, are things then working or do you have the same issue?

We also need to check if the SIM toolkit as been switched on:

• For an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you.
  • For an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you.

It might be worth trying to do a manual network search to see if you can connect to any others and see if that helps. It could be that the network you're connected too maybe doesn't have the best signal where you are. This is out of our control as we don't use our own networks outside of the UK. 

Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have read through this thread as my wife has this issue on mainland Spain. We both have virginmobile SIMs, I have a Google Pixel 4a and do not have the no.audio issue. My wife has an iphone7 and has this issue. We have made some tests and found that audio works fine if she receives a call from a Spain number. My son is on Virgin Mobile and if he calls my wife from the UK then audio is also fine. So it seems the issue could be device related and from an non virirgingmobile user in the UK, including from UK landlines. Does this help and is there any further updates to this issue? 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stephenkwatts

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about your issue

Are you able to try all the above suggestion that my colleague Kath_F posted please? Once you have given these a try let us know and we'll investigate further if needs be

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Travis, yes we tried the points mentioned with no difference. As I said I am on Virgin Mobile like my wife and we have both roamed onto Moviestar and as my phone is OK it's unlikely to me the network? I haven't swapped her SIM into my device but as I have a virgin mobile SIM in already one would assume hers would work in my device. So it seems the iPhone with a Virgin Mobile SIM is the issue? Have you researched the device being used by the others reporting this issue? 

Further to this issue. I have just received a call from the UK on my Pixel and I could hear the caller but they couldn't hear me, so this is different to my testing yesterday as it was ok yesterday. This issue marked as solved so I assume there is a fix?