cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Isle of Man not working

PRG2
Tuning in

Dear Virgin Mobile,

I've just arrived in the Isle of Man and have no phone service at all. When I found these help pages I find that this is a problem that has been going on for years with numerous posts.

I find it amazing that you've not managed to fix this problem after all of this time and that customers keep having the same issue!

94 REPLIES 94

Hi @philguk,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear this has been an ongoing issue with roaming.

Are you able to further expand on what you have experienced so we can best help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

philguk
On our wavelength
Just read back through this thread

We have TWO Virgin account phones

On our first trip to the Island post-Covid, neither roamed. We could manually change roaming settings to get OUTGOING calls working, but inbound calls and texts never worked

For some other reason my wife received a new SIM from you (to do with the Vodafone merger??) and in the next trip, suddenly her phone worked but mine still didn’t

I finally persuaded you to reissue MY SIM, but we have yet to travel back to see if I am now fixed

This whole saga has been incredibly frustrating. Virgin have never even accepted there IS a problem, despite all the evidence

We truly apologise for this experience @philguk.

We can understand the inconvenience caused by this. We are however glad to see that your wife's phone has seen improvement since the sim swap. In this case, please do let us know if the issue persists next time and we will do our very best to help from here.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I can't believe this is still a problem and a company the size of Virgin cannot sort it out. I highlighted this problem years ago when I was in the Isle of Man and am now back here with the same problem. My wife's Asda PAYG phone works perfectly. I've had to get a Manx Telecom SIM to get a service but obviously nobody can ring me as they don't know my new Manx number. 

Hopeless service from Virgin. I shall be looking for a new provider when I get home as the other problem for us is they have ended their PAYG service so no more free calls between mine and my wife's PAYG phone.

philguk
On our wavelength

We’ll, my wife’s phone WAS working (and mine wasn’t) but she’s just been informed another new SIM is on the way, so we are now doubtful either phone will work next time

i don’t think it’s a case of Virgin NOT fixing utv- I just don’t think they care enough about us to even WANT to fix if

so we’ll all not be missed

philguk
On our wavelength

Amazing

Back on the Isle of Man, and both of our phones are roaming. At Last

philguk
On our wavelength

Well……. They WERE working

Now my wife’s phone is fine, but mine can only RECEIVE calls and texts, but can’t originate either

And we’re on the same account!

Totally confused

Hi @philguk thanks for getting back to us. 

Sorry to hear that you're still having roaming issues.  Have you checked that all your handset settings are set to enable you to have full roaming?

Regards

Lee_R

philguk
On our wavelength

Absolutely. In the last 12 months we’ve been to New York, Peru, Greece, Slovenia, Isle of Man, Vietnam, Laos and Singapore. The ONLY place my phone doesn’t work is the Isle of Man 😡😡😡

Oddly, it DOES connect to Manx Telecom and I can RECEIVE calls & texts. I just can’t make any

Never seen this before. Normally a failure to roam means the phone doesn’t even connect

And I’ve tried both manual and automatic network selection

I think we need to look at your account. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R