cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Isle of Man not working

PRG2
Tuning in

Dear Virgin Mobile,

I've just arrived in the Isle of Man and have no phone service at all. When I found these help pages I find that this is a problem that has been going on for years with numerous posts.

I find it amazing that you've not managed to fix this problem after all of this time and that customers keep having the same issue!

94 REPLIES 94

philguk
On our wavelength

READ THIS THREAD FRIM THE BEGINNING

It has nothing to do with local agreements so stop saying it does 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem goes back to the time Virgin decided to run their own core network. Prior to that EE ran everything including roaming, afterwards EE just supplied signal (now Vodafone)

Being a Virtual network with no masts of their own they could not negotiate roaming agreements with foreign networks as they had nothing to offer them.

To get round this Virgin entered into an agreement with a network in Belgium to supply roaming facilities.

The problem is the Belgian network sees all +44 numbers as UK and does not differentiate between UK, the IOM and the Channel Isles. 

Virgin tried to get round this by equipping their SIM with a SIM Toolkit, where roaming can be selected as Automatic, National and International. Sadly, this is a none standard arrangement and sometimes the phone can't pick up the Automatic setting. Usually, when this happens going into SIM Toolkit and manually selecting International restores roaming in places like the IOM.

The likelihood of this changing is receding as it looks certain that Virgin Mobile will be brought into O2's system in the future.

Personally if I travelled to the IOM a lot I would not be using Virgin. Use a network like Vodafone who have their own roaming agreements and also have the IOM listed in inclusive allowance.

Whatever the team say on here, how many SIM swaps and reboots they go through. IOM roaming will always be hit or miss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Enlli, 

Thanks for the reply.

I've looked at Vodafone, popped into a local shop.  They don't have any offers that meet my requirements or rather needs.  2Gb is not enough and 250Gb is more than I can use in a year let alone a month.  Voxi who use the Vodafone platform looks good, but I need to look clsoer at the options.

Phil,

Give in mate and jump ship.

Bye bye virgin mobile in the near future.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wilber_force 

Mrs is on a £10 package with Voxi for the last 2 years Lots of social media stuff does not come of usage (if that's your thing)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi wilber_force, thanks for getting back to us.

As previously advised by my colleague, I'm sorry we could not get the resolution that you would like or we'd like to get for you.  And I am also sorry that you've decided to leave us in the very near future.  I hope you have the very best of luck for the future.

Regards

Lee_R

@wilber_force wrote:

Enlli, 

Thanks for the reply.

I've looked at Vodafone, popped into a local shop.  They don't have any offers that meet my requirements or rather needs.  2Gb is not enough and 250Gb is more than I can use in a year let alone a month.  Voxi who use the Vodafone platform looks good, but I need to look clsoer at the options.

Phil,

Give in mate and jump ship.

Bye bye virgin mobile in the near future.

Have a look at price comparison sites (e.g. https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/) there are usually far more tariffs available, compared to the network's own shops/websites.

philguk
On our wavelength
Spoiler

I’m also thinking it’s time to move on, but……

Vodafine are the only provider I’ve found who will bill me JUST for what I use - and not insist on a monthly payment

I have just landed on the Isle of Man to see the cost of data here through Virgin Media… 50p per MB? So £512 per GB? Absolutely crazy. What’s worse is there is no roaming bolt on I can add to make this cheaper?

Also my regular network, calls and texts, is not working what so ever. I’ve been through the trouble shooting, selected manual network, and manual roaming in SIM applications. But no texts will send, and when I ring any number I get dead tones. So I can’t even ring customer services to try and get some help

Hi AHirst,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear the roaming is not working. I've done a system check and everything should be working. I noticed you've posted 8 hours ago - has this sorted itself since? Let me know if not. 

Regarding the costs, I do fully appreciate your concern. Please see here for further information;

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub/The-Isle-of-Man

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

No my network still isn’t working. I’m on WiFi