cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Isle of Man not working

PRG2
Tuning in

Dear Virgin Mobile,

I've just arrived in the Isle of Man and have no phone service at all. When I found these help pages I find that this is a problem that has been going on for years with numerous posts.

I find it amazing that you've not managed to fix this problem after all of this time and that customers keep having the same issue!

94 REPLIES 94

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's because all Roaming is via Virgin's roaming partner,  Proximus of Belgium. As the IOM has a +44 code they don't think you are Roaming, hence having to manually tell the SIM you are abroad.

No way round as Virgin as an MNVO have no Roaming agreements of their own. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

philguk
On our wavelength

Thanks Gareth

ive now made this manual change to my second phone, and it now “roams” in the IOM - manually

when I reported thus back in August, your support folks had no idea that the IOM was a “special case” so they issued new SIMs and made roaming changes to my account. None of which actually helped, of course. As well as fixing the problem, please make sure your team knows what the current workaround is. It would have saved a ton of frustration and annoyance. 

And apologies if I don’t hold my breath. I’ve never been particularly impressed with Virgins responsiveness. After all, this does not seem to be a new problem. I really only stick with you ‘cos nothing hardly ever goes wrong

Thank you for keeping us posted on this. We will pass this onto the team.

^Martin

philguk
On our wavelength

Thanks

Please keep me posted on progress. I’ll be back in the island next year

Thanks for your response @philguk and we hope to have an update for you before your next trip.

Regards,

Steven_L

philguk
On our wavelength

Well, the PHONE part works, but I cannot access any 3G or 4G internet when on the Isle of Man. Is there a special roaming data setting I need to manually change as well?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @philguk,

Thank you for getting back to us. We understand that this situation must be frustrating.

We will feed this back to the dedicated team in hopes to have a resolution for you.

For more information about Isle of Man you can take a look at our Roaming page.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

philguk
On our wavelength

AND

although my wife and I can text each other within the Virgin network, texts I send to other networks are NOT delivered. Texts sent TO me from other networks seem to be rejected as well

This is totally unacceptable service

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @philguk,

Thank you for this information. I will feed this back to be looked into.

I understand that this is not the service we aim to provide for our customers and we're looking into improving this. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

philguk
On our wavelength

Thanks Paulina, but the problems with Virgin and the Isle of Man go way beyond your help pages