cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Isle of Man not working

PRG2
Tuning in

Dear Virgin Mobile,

I've just arrived in the Isle of Man and have no phone service at all. When I found these help pages I find that this is a problem that has been going on for years with numerous posts.

I find it amazing that you've not managed to fix this problem after all of this time and that customers keep having the same issue!

94 REPLIES 94

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you got an iPhone?

If so 

Settings > Mobile Data > SIM applications > Roaming > Select Mode > Manual > International 

Set it back to Automatic on return

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, PRG2,

Sorry to hear that you have been having roaming issues. Has enlli's advice been able to get thing sorted for you.  Also you can check to ensure you roaming service is switched on here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-turn-on-roaming

Cheers,

Corey C

I did the equivalent on my Android device, however it still did not work. The phone indicated connection, but then I could not use any data, make calls or even send SMS messages.  In addition I then got after a few days a warning that I'd reached my data limit, so I've been charged for roaming but not seeing real service

Hi Corey C,

I am a frequent traveller, so I have my roaming services enabled when needed.  There is clearly a techical issue with Virgin phones not being able to roam in the Isle of Man.  Looking at all the messages on this site, the same issue has been going on for years and has not been sorted...  My travelling companion was with another UK network and had no problems at all.

Thanks

P.

Hi PRG2, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Apologies to hear you are still having some issues. This link may help to get things sorted: Channel Islands and Isle of Man roaming tips

If after that you are still having an issue, pop back and we will be able to send a new SIM that will have some updated settings on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi PRG2, 

I have been over to the IOM on several occasions and have the same issues as you.

I gave up and got a SIM card to use on the island.

This also happens when I have been to Jersey.

There was one trip however when I could use my phone but got charged as though I was in New York!!!

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi wilber_force,

I'm sorry that you have also experienced this issue. Could you confirm if you have tried the tips on this page?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

philguk
On our wavelength

I’ve changed to manual network selection AND changed the SIM setting and it actually does connect

but why do we have to go through thus rigmarole every time (AND remember to put things back when we return hone)

i don’t mind temporary workarounds, but is this EVER going to be properly fixed??

Hi philguk

Our Team have been made aware of this and will be looking at how to fix it going forward 

Sorry for the frustrations this may have caused you 

Gareth_L