Menu
GuernseyGirl
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Roaming doesn't work in Guernsey

I was in Guernsey over Christmas and I couldn't get a service at all.  This only seems to have been an issue since the sim cards were changed as my phone worked fine before then.  The call centre are pretty useless as they don't know who or what Guernsey is.  

I am hoping this will be resolved before Easter otherwise I will have to switch to another network.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming doesn't work in Guernsey

Hi GuernseyGirl,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

Did you speak with the Mobile team to ensure roaming was active on your account?

^Martin

0 Kudos
GuernseyGirl
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes and yes. Plus I have roamed with that phone before and after my Guernsey trip.  There just seems to be an issue with that location and Virgin needs to start being honest with people about if and when it will be fixed so I can make an informed decision about whether to take my buisness elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you put Guernsey into the search box you will see this is a very long term problem.

I'm not sure if this is down to the new SIM cards issued since Dec 2017. These are Poximus based not EE and use Proximus as the base roaming partner. Since then there have been roaming problems in a number of countries and some you can no longer roam in at all. I would have thought the CI's would be OK

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry that you're having this issue GuernseyGirl, 

We have been aware of some issues with Guernsey since changing to our new SIM cards. This does mean you might not receive a connection when travelling there. 

There is a work around that has been working for some customers which you can try below if you have our SIM Tool kit app on your handset. 

Do you have the SIM Tool Kit app on your phone?

If so can you try the following:

For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from Home screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

If that doesn't work then I do apologise and hopefully we'll be able to provide service for you in the future. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos