cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming - Do I need a new SIM or wat for network update?

markhunter
Tuning in

Good afternoon,

I have just received an email regarding one of my mobile contracts concerning a network update for roaming and suggesting (correctly) that the phone is switched off and that no reply has been received to aa SMS message sent to that phone.

The SIM for this particular account is currently in a phone to which I do not have access, but will have in 2 weeks time when I visit Spain

Will the network update occur when I switch on that phone (thus ensuring that roaming is possible) or would it be more prudent for a new SIM to be sent to my current home address and then for me to replace the existing SIM when I have access to the phone in 2 weeks time?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Regards,

Mark Hunter

21 REPLIES 21

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The update can only be done when the phone is connected to the home UK network, if you receive a replacement SIM in the UK it would need to be activated again on the home UK network it will not activate when roaming. So you will need to place the SIM in an unlocked phone in the UK for it too activate.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that information. 
I guess that, if I had a new SIM delivered to my UK address, then I could put it in a spare phone to register it and then transfer the SIM to my phone in Spain?

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes that would work.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Fantastic!  That solves my problem perfectly.  Much appreciated Mike.

Now let's see how easy it is to get a new SIM.

Regards,

Mark

suechapman
Dialled in

Is this all to do with the pay as you go sims being disconnected or is this happening to pay monthly sims 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Technically it's for everyone. It's separate to any closure of PAYG.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

So how do I no if ive had an update or not then 

I stopped from payg to pay monthly about one month ago and was told I didn't need another sim card as mine was an upto date one as I gad a purple one last summer 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Most people who have an active SIM in the UK will have had the update automatically and don't need to worry.

It's really only those outside the UK or those who have had their phone off most of the time that will get notified.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

OK so if we have been in the UK all the time over past couple of months then the update would of happened already and we wouldn't of been notified then

Is that right