Menu
Jhandley
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Roaming Data, but no text or calls

Hi,

I'm in Menorca (Spain) and having problems with my mobile roaming.

It's roaming on "Movistar" and I get rock solid data, but I canot send texts. It sits for ages on "sending" then reports "error 8". I can receive texts.

If I roam on Vodafone ES then I can send texts, but lose any data connection.

When I try and make a call, on movistar I get a message in French about contacting my provider (I think), and on voda es it tells me to call 789 (which gives me the same message)

I have a dual SIM, and the other SIM (from a different UK provider) has data, calls and text just fine. I tried the virgin SIM in my 2nd slot, but made no difference.

SIM toolkit says it's set to roaming.

I'm pretty sure I enabled roaming on my account.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roaming Data, but no text or calls

Do you have the virgin mobile app on your phone? 

Assuming you have the newer (since December 2017) purple sim, you can reset roaming without having to log on to your account.

Press plan, then controls and you'll find the roaming switch.

Annoying that movistar and voda es have the whole thing, but 2 on one and one on the other. 

You could try switching roaming off for some hours, but then you might lose all service. Then switch it back on again, wait a while, restart the mobile and cross fingers that it gets to your networks and works.

You'd have thought the message you got would be Spanish rather than French though. 

0 Kudos
Jhandley
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I've got a purple SIM, and the virgin app - my plan is indeed set up for roaming. I have half a suspicion I may have barred international calls at some point, but can't access my virgin mobile account on the web from here (presumably it's restricted to UK IP addresses?)

Don't really want to turn it off as I'll have no way to turn it on again!

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just a note. If you have WiFi access, you can turn roaming off and on at will. Like I said before, there is a risk that roaming services stop and don't start again. 

Maybe a vm mod will be along to advise, they can reset roaming from their side. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jhandley

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with that, It does seem like your roaming is working, as you have connected to the networks, It does sound

like an issue with the networks where you are, there is not alot we can do with regards to that unfortunately.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos