cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement sim when abroad

Steveinuganda
Joining in

Hi, I got an email, saying a new sim has been sent out….(I pay monthly, and have not requested a new sim).

so this will be delivered at my home address and my current sim will be activated in 2 weeks.

however I’m currently in Uganda for a few months but I still need my sim to work for logging into things etc.

will I be able to activate new sim from Uganda?

why am I being sent a new sim when I didn’t ask for one?

thanks 

27 REPLIES 27

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me @Natty1

I will send you a private message now, to see what I can do 🙂

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hannah888888
Joining in

Hi,

I'm also abroad and having a similar issue. Could I have my sim activated remotely please?

Thanks.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Hannah888888, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

We would be happy to assist with the activation of your new SIM. 

I will just need to take a few details so I will pop you over a private message now. 

This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Speak soon, 

Nat

davethetraveler
Joining in

Hi.    I am having a similar problem, I am in the middle of a 3 month road trip around the USA, and I get a message saying they have sent a new Sim, and my service will be disconnected in 14 days unless I switch it.  14 days !!!   Thats ludicrously short for people that travel for business or pleasure, who are also likely to be most affected by loss of service.

I have tried calling, and did speak to the help desk, who were clearly ready for the question with a stock answer to 'get a family member to send it to you'.   When I complained they even said they might credit my account with the fedex cost.   But thats not the problem since we are moving every day and no real planned itinerary so nowhere to send it that will ensure delivery in time - and thats assuming I can arrange someone to find it and send it since our mail is being held.  I asked if it was possible to NOT disconnect service till we return, but it seems they are 'switching off the transmitter', and since then I have a few texts - the latest today telling me I have 4 days to switch!

I now realise that the note about 'changing your Sim to enhance our service', really should have said, "we are turning of the current transmitters and migrating to new ones on xx date', if you will be travelling or out of the country around this time please contact us so we can ensure you have a new Sim in good time."  Instead some marketing idiot things its better not to tell us what is really happening until its too late.  

An appalling failure in customer service, be grateful if anyone has had any other suggestions or success in getting this 'switch off' delayed.  Much like others travelling I will lose access to banks and credit cards that require OTP. 

A very cross soon to be ex customer 

Hello davethetraveler

Thank you for taking the time to post in regards the recent communication regarding the change of SIM, we appreciate this is disappointing and you taking the time to raise this via the forums. Welcome to the community.

The changes are due to a SIM migration to a new network, for people in the UK the majority of this can be completed 'over the air' without the need for a new SIM card as they are still connected to the UK network. As you have been away for some time we haven't been able to migrate you or make the changes 'over the air' 

As you can appreciate, these are unique circumstances not impacting most customers but has/will cause problems for yourself. Unfortunately we aren't able to stop this migration from taking place.

Rob

So why werent we given that information previously?    Then we could have planned accordingly.   This is a failure of Virgin Media planning and communication, and you should have a contingency plan.  From this forum, and from the response from your help desk, I am not alone and you should respond to your customers and admit you failed to give us proper and sufficient warning of the reason for the new Sim, and delay the migration.  

If, as you say, most people could be migrated without a new Sim, and its only travelers like me that need one, then that makes you communication failure even worse. !!

Hi @davethetraveler,

Thank you for coming back to us about your issue and in regards to the situation you're in. I do apologise that this has impacted you so much and I am sorry that a SIM activation is required as you're travelling abroad at the moment. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do as we're unable to stop this migration from happening. 

We appreciate your feedback as we're always working on improving our services for our customers. Apologies that you've been impacted in this way.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @davethetraveler,

I'll be more than happy to look into this issue further for you. I'll send you a Private Message to chat about this issue in more detail.

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs