cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement SIM Card - Vodafone Network / 5G

robw95
Tuning in

Apologies if this has already been asked before..

Would ordering a Replacement SIM Card allow me to receive 5G service and signal from the Vodafone Network? 

Virgin Mobile haven't contacted me otherwise of when to expect 5G service or a migration over to Vodafone. 

12 REPLIES 12

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ordering a new SIM will not work. It has to be done at system level 

I'm told you have either to take out a new contract or wait . There is no timescale as the deal with Vodafone for a complete change over does not start till January

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks  enlli, 

I have a relative who has received a reminder by post that their contract ends next month and with some recommended SIM plans to switch to, There is no mention of 5G on the new plans, If they were to renew their contract, Could they ask for a new SIM with 5G connectivity?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, if they change plans.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hello robw95

Thanks for posting in regards ordering a replacement SIM and changign to Vodafone 5G, we appreciate you taking the time to raise your query and welcome to the community!

As enlli has already advised, a replacement SIM would change you to the Vodafone network but wouldn't allow you access to 5G, this would need to be a change in tariff. You can pass this link to your friend where they will be able to see all of our SIM Only tariffs.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask 🙂

Rob

Thanks Robert_P

My own SIM is part of the 'Ultimate Oomph' bundle, is it possible for the tariff to change on this to include 5G? 

Thanks, 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @robw95

To confirm, do you have a 5G compatible device?

We do have 5G tarrifs available on our Ultimate Oomph sims, and we'll be able to change this for you.

I'm going to send you a PM to get more details, please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seeing the deal with Vodafone included full access to 5G, requiring people who have already move to Vodafone can only be an attempt to tie people in to at least another 12 month contract. I suppose it's a bit like they never gave PAYG 4G in the hope they too would upgrade.

I upgraded  to the 1gb ultimate oomph package and that started a new 18 month package should I have received a new 5g sim ?

Hi Treble1,

Thanks for posting,

You don't necessarily need a new SIM, we can just upgrade the current one.

Alex_Rm