cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Esim

pcg33kuk
Dialled in

So yesterday afternoon, I received the below from Virgin Media, which I have taken to mean my number is been moved over to Vodafone

pcg33kuk_0-1641485727179.png

24 hours later no email, checked junk and my spam filters on my mail server, and no nothing, so I ring up to get an update, as normally (most normal networks do this about 30minutes after sending the text) 

Spoke to the most incompetent and useless agent (please send me a survey) who basically told me the text is a scam, and that I would never be getting a replacement esim as Virgin Media have canned them and that if I need a new sim for the network switch I will be sent a physical sim card... When I said I dont want a physical sim, she just repeated above... 

So what is it VM, are existing esim customers about to be thrown under the bus, because of your iffy network setup? or are the Manila Call Centre employees just crap and need retraining or sacking.... maybe look at replacing your current provider, I can recommend some good ones in the Philippines....  

28 REPLIES 28

Any update @Gareth_L

Or is it true that Virgin only offer 5G on handsets sold by Yourselves????

A straight answer would be good!!

Thank you for your query @pcg33kuk,

You would need a 5G phone and a 5G- ready sim. You can find out all about 5G on our service here https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/5g.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for reading the thread Akua_A

I have a 5G sim and a 5G phone, as the sim has been migrated from EE to Vodafone...

But it looks like VM are doing exact opposite to every other network by limiting 5G access to phones only sold by Virgin Media..

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pcg33kuk

Well your phone covers all the bands used by Vodafone, an up to date Version of Android and it can't be called an old model.

If may not be deliberate but a side product of Virgin's unique SIM cards which throw up spurious problems from time to time,  particularly on iPhones but not limited to them.

I doubt Virgin have an answer, certainly not at this level.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I picked up some 5G on a Galaxy S21 that I got directly from Samsung.

Good old belgium 😛

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@enlli wrote:

@pcg33kuk

Well your phone covers all the bands used by Vodafone, an up to date Version of Android and it can't be called an old model.

If may not be deliberate but a side product of Virgin's unique SIM cards which throw up spurious problems from time to time,  particularly on iPhones but not limited to them.

I doubt Virgin have an answer, certainly not at this level.

@Gareth_L did respond over here on that point 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Ultimate-Oomph-SIM-when-will-I-get-5g/m-p/4909249...

I can imagine that just like WiFi Calling and 4G Calling devices do need to know that a network offers 5G - as Virgin Mobile only started doing that last year there will be some 5G devices that think that Virgin Mobile only do 4G and that the manufactures haven't updated to tell them otherwise.

And as stated else where about the post on the Sky forum, that is something Motorola have said themselves they need to do for some networks.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Not according to Lenovo (who own Motorola)

This is purely a decision by Virgin Media, there is nothing they can do, and they know all about Virgin Media's stance on this, and tell customers to avoid the cluster***** that is Virgin Mobile

The settings are in the sim card and the carrier settings pushed down by the network, and all the phone does is say yay or not to settings...

I will mention to our Virgin Media business account manager when we next speak, and see what they have to say about it, as they keep pushing us to take some Virgin Media Mobile contracts., and will tell him not until you sort out your absolutely crazy cheap ass network setup...

Ahh well I give up and the sim will be put in inactive mode, and ill stick to using a proper network, who support all features of the phone...

Thanks VM for absolutely no help....

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Checking the other side of Virgin Media O2, O2 do say that some devices have needed a software update (which come from the manufacturers) to enable 5G for devices on their network, so why wouldn't the same be true for Virgin Mobile?

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/5G-setup

If you got a 5G phone before 17 October 2019, it would’ve come with a 4G sim. Now that our 5G network is on, you need to swap to a 5G sim. Just get in touch and we’ll get it sorted. Once you’ve swapped to your 5G sim, you will need to complete a software update and enable 5G on your phone.

Also Motorola have also said for other networks it's under their control after a carrier request, not just controlled by the SIM. That would be via a software update from them.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/razr-2020-razr-5G/Razr-5g-5g-setting/m-p/5043895

If Salt expands 5G to France, it would reach out to us and we have a mechanism for enabling 5G on the phone.

I see no reason why Virgin Mobile wouldn't have done that request for 5G to all major manufacturers.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own