cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refeshing SIM data

Johnny4342
Tuning in

I received a new SIM at the beginning of May. Occasionally I get a message 'refreshing SIM data' when I'm using the internet (wifi). When this happens the internet session is interrupted and the page refreshed, which is inconvenient. Can you please advise on how I can stop this? Thanks

94 REPLIES 94

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me kmknights.

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the error message please?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Unfortunately I can never catch it in time to take a screen shot as it is a grey notification bubble which appears at the bottom of my screen then disappears quite quickly.

Just states - Refreshing SIM data

I can show as having a signal but then when I try to send a text it states not able to complete at this time will send when service becomes available  (again message flashes up and then disappears quickly)

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi kmknights,

Thanks for confirming this. I'm going to try changing some details, and I'll then send you another SIM out. If this SIM doesn't work, I would suggest that this is potentially an issue with your handset, so it may need to come in for a repair.

Please let me know if this makes sense, and I'll go ahead and raise a request for a SIM swap.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Thanks.  Are you aware that this will be the third SIM I will have tried in order to fix the fault? 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kmknights,

Thanks for coming back to us. I'm sorry to hear that this is the case.

Please let us know if this new Sim swap works. If not, then we will take a further look to see if this is a handset issue. 

Apologies that this issue has been ongoing for a while.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

p1p3s
Joining in

Hi,

Might help someone... 

I've experienced the exact issues mentioned in this post 'Refreshing Sim Data'.  I purchased two sims just over 1 week ago for myself and my wife.  We both own Samsung phones (her Samsung S20 FE, myself, Samsung M31s - bought direct from Samsung so no locks etc.)  Whenever the 'Refreshing Sim Data' occurs, my wifi calling just switches off - I have to go into settings to re-enable it each time.  Same happens on the S20 FE, but wifi-calling automatically comes back eventually.

We have tried everything mentioned in this post, new set of sims etc. no luck.  I tried the SIM in my old Huawei P30, and everything is good, wifi calling stable, no refreshing sim data etc.  It appears there is something not right with the combination of Samsung handsets and the Virgin SIMs/network.  When I contacted Virgin, they also said that this was an issue last year with Samsung phones, and the fix was to disable wifi calling (I cannot do this as no signal in my house, and no landline).  

For me, luckily, I am within the 14 day cooling off period, so we are having to move away to a different network provider, hope others have better luck.

Tim.

Hi @p1p3s,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. If you've had replacement SIMs which hasn't helped but placing them into different handsets has then it would appear that your problem would be handset related.

It's possible that there's been a conflict with some of the handset's settings, which can very occasionally happen when new settings have been downloaded but not fully. If you haven't already, I would suggest performing a factory reset on the affected handsets to see if that helps. You can find out how to do this via their respective user manual, but if you need help with that let us know.

However, please note that if you perform a factory reset then any content stored on the handset (contact numbers, photos, videos, etc.) would be erased, so it would be best to ensure that these have been backed up before doing the factory reset.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I have tried that and resetting the network configuration, so wipes all wifi, bluetooth and gsm networks which prompts configuration messages, same issue.  If I put my work sim (o2) in, no problems, wifi calling is stable, so its not a handset issue.  Identical issues for both myself and my wife with Samsung handsets.  Virgin mobile seems fine when there is a good connection, just doesn't like samsung phones on wifi calling with a bad signal.  Intermittent problems like this are hard to diagnose without some kind of logging etc. so can understand the difficulties.  I have spent many hours trying to troubleshoot the issue, and have had to give up before the 14 day cooling off period runs out.  The operator did admit to an issue with Samsung and wifi calling with virgin, so offered me the pac codes to move away.

Cheers,

Tim.

Thanks for coming back to us Tim.

Its really disappointing to hear that you've experienced such issues with the Wi-Fi calling and your Samsung handsets. We are sad that it has come to you having to leave us within the 14 day cooling off period but we understand your reasons why if you have spent several hours trying to get this issue fixed. 

We will use this feedback and send it off to the relevant team to see what/if any other fixes can be put in place for the future to save other customer having to go through the same experience as you Tim.

We wish you all the best for the future and once again apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi

I have not received a new SIM as promised