cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving nuisance calls from unknown caller

ashrid
On our wavelength

Hi,

Recently I've started to receive nuisance/abusive calls from an unknown number, the caller knows mine and my spouces name which is concerning. I suspect it may be related to witnessing/reporting a crime earlier this year.

Obviously I can't block the number as it's unknown but blocking all unknown numbers isn't practical as I receive calls from serveral places (e.g. doctors surgery) that are unknown numbers.

I've called customer support and they've advised they can't do anything, I've reported it to the Police and they've said they won't (not can't) do anything. I really don't want to change my phone number (and I suspect they'd find out the new number anyway since they found my name and current number).

Is there any thing else I can do? I've looked at Truecaller but that seems to only work if the caller appears in the contacts of someone who has Truecaller installed?

Does *69 work in the UK on unknown numbers?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ashrid,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you've been receiving some nuisance calls.

You can find some information relating to dealing with these types of calls here

*69 equivalent in the UK would be 1471 which will allow you to call back the last number that called you.

Short of changing your landline number there would be nothing further we can do other than adding Anonymous Caller Reject, which you've already advised isn't suitable.

Alex_Rm

ashrid
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately nothing in that link appears to be relevant to nuisance/harrasing calls.

My understanding is that 1471 does not work if the caller witheld their number?

In addition this is regarding a mobile phone number, not a landline. Apologies I should have mentioned that in the original post.

I'm surprised that, as the operator, you are not able to see the origin number and block it at the network level.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Dialling 1471 in the UK is to recall the last number that was dialled into your landline or mobile phone, but does not work if the caller withheld their number..

The general public tends to refer to the service by the telephone feature code, the telephone number it has in their country; for example, in North America, this is *69, while in the UK, it is called 1471.

I'm not sure where you are based @ashrid  but these forums are for VM UK and I believe *69 is only available in the USA and Canada

Hopefully the following web page may help https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/find-out-whos-calling-you/704580/ 

According to that linked page, 'The first one is *69, which traces the number of the last person who called you. It works even for anonymous or hidden calls, so you can get the phone number and the exact time they called.'

Also, 'Another number you can use to trace a call is *57. If you believe a scam or spam caller is harassing you, this is the number to use. *57 gets you the phone number and call information *69 does, but it goes above and beyond.

When you dial *57, the information you obtain is passed along to the police. Your phone service will log a *57 call in a special way, so authorities can more easily locate whoever is harassing you and arrest them.'

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

ashrid
On our wavelength

Thanks Dave, I'm in the UK

I found that page earlier while searching for options which is where my question came from (I had hoped it was able to identify witheld numbers unlike 1471)