cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving SMS on Wifi calling

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Odd one.

I recently ported to VM after leaving Three where I also used WifiCalling with no issue. Ported to VM end of May, got the text advising WifiCalling set up and I do indeed get WifiCall on my display.

Heres the issue when on WifiCall - its an iPhone X (unlocked from Apple), I can send and receive messages via iMessage, no issues as uses data.

If I send a message to a non Apple device (send as SMS), it appears to go with no error. The recipient can get it straight away but sometimes delayed. If they respond, I don't get the reply until I'm back on 4G and only when they send me a further message and any outstanding messages from that sender, then they all come in.

Check the service centre number via another handset and is correct for the purple SIM.

Any ideas VM (or anyone)? I have done the usual reset network settings, reset phone, etc

Ray

69 REPLIES 69

Hi I have recently also transferred from Vodafone to Virgin because of assurances of good signal in my region only to find the truth is that my house has no signal (the street outside has 1 bar). I switched over to Wifi Calling which works fine but like others I cannot receive Text messages from Verification sites (WhatsApp etc is fine). This really limits how I want to use my phone and is forcing me to consider returning to Vodafone which as least had a good signal (2 bars) in the house. Is there really nothing Virgin can do to resolve veririfaction messages being received on Wifi Call? My phone is an iPhone SE Gen 2.

Hi Nikkione,

I am sorry there currently isn't anything we can do.

Regards

Paul.

Sorry Paul?  Who was “nikkione”?

Hi Sorry Cpl43uk,

I thought I had copied your name.

Regards

Paul.

MW810
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm also having exactly the same issue on iPhone SE (2nd Gen). Calls work fine using wifi calling (any wifi network), iMessage works but SMS texts are not sent or received until back on the mobile network. All settings appear correct, wifi calling is enabled on phone and in mobile network settings. My wife also has the same issue on her iPhone.

Very frustrating, I need to be able to still get work SMS when out of mobile range.

Any solutions welcome, better still a fix from VM. Many thanks.

Hi,

I have finally been able to confirm the same issue occurs when connected to non vm WiFi. Ie get no sms. When I turn off WiFi calling the sms arrives.

I don’t understand how this cannot be reproduced in a lab and a fix provided. It is not intermittent and occurs every time in certain conditions so should be easy to trace and see which step fails. 

looking forward to a fix.

thanks

Alec

Hello MW810

Apologies for the mobile service issues, we understand the frustration this can cause and appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of this. Welcome to the community.

We have raised this with the team to look into further but haven't heard back from them yet, as soon as we get an update we will let you know here.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Fingers crossed.

By way of update, when I got back onto the mobile network, it took many hours before all my missed texts came through. I got 28 messages from the previous 3 days all arrive at 02:30h. 

Thanks for the reply and update, MW810,

Cheers,

Corey C

Redding43
On our wavelength

Has this progressed to a solution, I have had the same problem since switching my iPhone sim to virgin media