cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving SMS on Wifi calling

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Odd one.

I recently ported to VM after leaving Three where I also used WifiCalling with no issue. Ported to VM end of May, got the text advising WifiCalling set up and I do indeed get WifiCall on my display.

Heres the issue when on WifiCall - its an iPhone X (unlocked from Apple), I can send and receive messages via iMessage, no issues as uses data.

If I send a message to a non Apple device (send as SMS), it appears to go with no error. The recipient can get it straight away but sometimes delayed. If they respond, I don't get the reply until I'm back on 4G and only when they send me a further message and any outstanding messages from that sender, then they all come in.

Check the service centre number via another handset and is correct for the purple SIM.

Any ideas VM (or anyone)? I have done the usual reset network settings, reset phone, etc

Ray

69 REPLIES 69

unlikely to have been fixed, had no further feedback.

Hi Redding43,

Thank you for your post. 

I'm very sorry to hear you're also having this issue with texting on WiFi calling. 

My colleague who raised this isn't in today and so what I will do is email him and ask to see if there was any update with this. 

While I do this can you answer the following questions: 

Have you been able to try another SIM card in your handset and test this?

Have you been able to try your SIM card in another handset and test this?

Have you been able to try on different WiFi connections? And with different broadband providers? 

^Martin

Hi,

I have tried different wifi networks, with different broadband providers, with no improvement.

I do not have other SIM cards to try in my handset, but other's are able to use their identical handsets (with SIM cards from other providers) on the same wifi networks without problems, i.e. they can send and receive SMS messages using Wifi calling on the same wifi connections that do not work for me.

Thanks.

Hi MW810,

Thanks for coming back to us, have you been able to try your Sim in a handset that doesn't have the same issue?

Regards

Paul.

Hi,

No, I only have one mobile phone. I think there are enough people with this problem to demonstrate that this is not a problem with individual handsets, but is a network problem.

Thanks for your reply, MW810,

What is the make/model of your mobile phone?

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi,

Apple iPhone SE (2nd generation), as per my original post.

Many thanks.

Cheers, MW810, have you had your SIM card recently replaced? 

I am having exactly the same problems.

I have put the SIM into a Samsung S9+, iPhone 11 and an iPhone SE (2016) and i can make and receive calls and send text messages when on Wifi calling but cannot receive text messages. As others have reported it can take several hours for messages to be received once in an area with better network coverage (when Wifi Calling can be turned off).

This is a show-stopper as it is preventing me from porting my mobile to Virgin Mobile as the ability to receive text messages is vital in these days of on-line shopping and identity verification.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums PeterK1, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you've been facing when trying to send text messages with the SIM card.

Can you tell me when the SIM card was issued? Can you confirm the handset your using is currently running the most up to date software?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn