cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving SMS on Wifi calling

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Odd one.

I recently ported to VM after leaving Three where I also used WifiCalling with no issue. Ported to VM end of May, got the text advising WifiCalling set up and I do indeed get WifiCall on my display.

Heres the issue when on WifiCall - its an iPhone X (unlocked from Apple), I can send and receive messages via iMessage, no issues as uses data.

If I send a message to a non Apple device (send as SMS), it appears to go with no error. The recipient can get it straight away but sometimes delayed. If they respond, I don't get the reply until I'm back on 4G and only when they send me a further message and any outstanding messages from that sender, then they all come in.

Check the service centre number via another handset and is correct for the purple SIM.

Any ideas VM (or anyone)? I have done the usual reset network settings, reset phone, etc

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes. WiFi Calling on Virgin Media includes SMS
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

69 REPLIES 69

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does Virgin do SMS over wifi?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes. WiFi Calling on Virgin Media includes SMS
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi raybb3uk, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 

Really interesting reading into your post, as It's something that have never been brought to my attention or I think anyone else too, so It's a good start haha. I've just ran a couple of tests, from my phone which is an iPhone X, to a colleagues phone which is an iPhone 8, 2 other people which have a Galaxy S10 & S9. Each on different broadband supplies also, we was able to send texts and receive them okay, there was a little delay but nothing which would make me think there was an issue. 

Can you confirm with me if the person you are struggling to get messages from, is it just them or is it with anyone else? 

Cheers. 

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the issue with anyone who is on SMS (non iMessage) and only when on WifiCall (works fine on data). They do not get a delivery receipt until delivered which can be late the next day. Once thing I have noticed and I advised the support team of is that the phone number format is incorrect. 07 345 35 67 89 as an example. If I turn on dial assist it thinks I'm in Belgium. The phone is correctly set up for the UK.

I believe its a SIM card issue. The SIM came as part of the Oomph bundle and the I ported my number to it a month later, so not a general run of the mill contract SIM.

Ray

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Raybb3uk,

Please can you try the fix in the post in this link as I think it might work. It's by Frank Gibb and marked Helpful Answer

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/iPhone-Dial-Assist-Problems/m-p/3948984#M136862

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo

I have followed that post previously and also another one regarding roaming settings and that now seems OK - under test. The texting issue whilst on WifiCall  is the main issue still.

Ray

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Drat 😞

Sorry Ray, back to the drawing board. Hope it's fixed quickly for you. i'll keep checking in case I find anything, plus I would like to know the answer myself.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hey raybb3uk,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with texting whilst on WiFi calling. I've had a look at your Mobile account and can see that you've spoken to an agent who has checked the settings and I can confirm that it's enabled also. I'm unsure whether you're still having problems but if so, can you try a different mobile handset to see if the issue is still there? 

Thanks,

Lisa

raybb3uk
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have tried all connotations to resolve this (as I work in the tech business). I have spoken to someone today who is sending me a new SIM card as its 'fixed the issue for other customers'. 

We wait and see. 🙂

Ray