cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Texts while out of country

Allmost
Joining in

Hi
I have a virgin mobile account in BC Canada.
I'm currently in Mexico.
My question is _Why can I send and receive texts when my data is off and will I get charged for these texts? If so, how much?
If I'm getting charged, how do I turn this off?

Thank you

PS: my plan.....

BYOP 58 - 4GB Includes:3 Way Calling 0.00Roam Sweet Roam - 100MB 0.00Call Display 0.00Canada-Wide Calling 0.00BYOP Smartphone Data - 4 GB 0.00Unltd Picture & Video Messaging 0.00myPeeps (vpc.ca/mypeeps) 0.00Unlimited anytime minutes 0.00Can-US/International Text Includes:Messaging

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Standard short texts aren't delivered by mobile data, they're messaged as packets within the voice stream and wouldn't involve mobile data.  Multi-media message content is different so anything longer than the network permits would convert to MMS, as would photos, videos and graphic emojis.  If you've got mobile data off you shouldn't be able to send or receive MMS or text.  You might be able to get MMS and mobile data via wifi calling, but that depends on your operator, phone and the connection.  Watch out for charging of standard texts internationally - mobile networks are always keen to fleece their customers.

And for clarity, this is a UK Virgin Media forum, so although the above will apply to Virgin Canada, most of us have no idea what roaming arrangements would apply for you, or the detail of how Virgin Canada price and handle texts.  

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Allmost, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear of any service issues. This is a UK forum only but you can try contacting the right department here

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill