cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaching the Fraud Team

Benf2020fraud
Tuning in

About 8 months ago I contacted Virgin Mobile to ask why they were taking a payment from my bank every month. They couldn't tell me anything unless I knew my account password. I didnt open the account so I didnt have a password.

I told them "please leave a note on the account that I called because I am going to make sure this doesnt get paid again".

Since then I called again and asked why they keep trying to take money off me (it shows on my credit report that they keep trying) and managed to get someone to raise an internal fraud investigation. I have a reference number and everything.

Unfortunately since then it's been basically impossible to get an update and my credit report is now showing a repossession! How do I get in touch with someone in Virgin Mobile's fraud team before they do any more damage to my credit score?

21 REPLIES 21

I'm not surprised to be honest. 

This all sounds like a nightmare. 

Good luck with your complaint.

Hi Benf2020fraud,

Just out of interest, have you contacted your bank about this fraud?
Your bank has to cover you under the Direct Debit Guarantee, and they have to refund you immediately.
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/Howtoclaim.aspx 

Unfortunately however, this won't help your credit rating if Virgin are still attempting to take the money.

You can also report Virgin to the Police for being negligent about fraud.
(if this link doesn't work search "Action fraud" on Google)
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I'd still take it to to the Ofcom approved Dispute Resolution service (CEDR) to get all your money back and hopefully some compensation from this useless company.

Hi @Paul_N, your official complaints procedure is terrible FYI. I wrote up a lovely letter outlining my complaint and submitted it through the web chat (which the complaints page said I should) but it was too long so I had to submit it as an attachment. I then went about my day (as the chat page said I should) but when I came back the operative HADN'T read the attachment, had asked me for information and then the chat had timed out.

Sooo.... that was annoying.

I have sent the letter via PM to Martin_N on this forum but am waiting for confirmation of receipt. Below is the body of the complaint with PII redacted.

-=-=-=-

To whom is may concern,

This is an official letter of complaint regarding the scenario that I have outlined below.

On October 8th  2019 I contacted Virgin Mobile because you were taking money from my bank account via direct debit which I had not authorised. When I asked why this money was being taken I was told that unless I had certain information about the account (memorable word) I could not access the account.

As I had not created a Virgin mobile account I did not have this information so I informed the operative that I would be cancelling the direct debit.

The account in question was registered under my name at a previous address; [redacted]. I believe the first payment went out in April 2016 – a full year after I had moved out of that address.

Since October 2019 you (Virgin Mobile) have continued to try and take payment, a fact that I am only aware of because it’s negatively impacting my credit score.

I contacted Virgin Mobile on 16th of Feb and asked for all payments to be stopped because, as has previously been stated, I didn’t create the account and a fraud case was raised ([redacted]). I was told payment should be paused and that someone would be in touch.

In March you put my account in default.

After failing to resolve this issue on previous attempts on June 16th I managed to get through to someone to help me who said that the previous fraud case had been closed (no reason given) and who opened a new fraud case ([redacted]). I was told that someone from the fraud team would be in touch within 72 hours. I has been 12 days and no one has been in touch.

I have raised this same query on the forums using the user name Benf2020fraud and had no effective response – your team seem to be unable to help me unless I can provide the memorable details for an account that I did not create.

My experience has uncovered structural issues in your CS systems which I have listed below for reference.

Firstly, I should have been able to get updates on my fraud case without accessing the fraudulent account. If your processes treated the two as separate entities then your frontline staff would be able to provide updates without sharing any sensitive data.

Secondly, Your frontline staff should then have some level of training on how to deal with fraud queries – even if that does require passing people on to a fraud team – because at the moment half of the time I have spoken to a Virgin Mobile rep. they have been unable to help me.

The crux of my complaint is that you have you have taken my money, damaged my credit score and made no attempt to resolve the issue despite having been alerted to an issue 9 months ago and supposedly having started investigating 4 months ago.

I am seeking the following resolutions from this complaint;

With regard to having taken money from me without my permission - I want my money back in full, with whatever interest you feel is appropriate.

With regard to damaging my credit report - I want all record of missed payments and details to be expunged from my credit report.

These outcomes are simple and should have been achievable.

My contact details are;

[redacted]

Yours,

Benf2020fraud

Did this ever get sorted out @Benf2020fraud ?

It kind of got worse - I got my money back, the phone number was closed and I had to email creditfileammendments@virginmedia.co.uk to remove the default on my credit file (this is the email address to have Virgin remove late payments or defaults from your credit file).

After two weeks two things happened - the first is that Virgin Media credit file amendments emailed me asking for a picture of my passport and three proofs of address for when the fraudulent account was opened and they wanted it all sent to yet another email address. The fraud occurred years ago, at a property I wasn't living in at the time so it was literally impossible for me to provide that information. I've told them this and offered my current proof of address as I am a VM customer. I am awaiting a response but they took two weeks to respond to me last time so I have no idea when I will hear back from them.

The second is that they set a debt collection agency on me! I received a letter from Moorcroft Group (Moorcroft House P.O Box No 17, 2 Spring Gardens, Stockport, SK1 4AJ) dated 24/07/2020 telling me to get in touch because Virgin Media are trying to get money back off me! This was a shock as I've had zero contact from anyone at Virgin telling me I owe them any money - they've just jumped straight to a debt collection agency which seems a little heavy handed.

The collection agency will raise a query with VM once I send over evidence that this should have been resolved.

The tragic thing is that you can tell it's not the individual operatives who are responsible for all these issues - it's the VM system. Ultimately the responsibility for a broken system lies with the leadership team but they will be the people who are furthest away from having to deal with the reality of how broken things are on the ground. I don't suppose you know the email format for people at Virgin Media? Is it firstname.lastname@virginmedia.com or something like that?

Hi Benf2020fraud,

I'm truly sorry for the overall experience you had in getting this issue resolved, I appreciate that it wasn't the best and caused you a great inconvenience. It's really disappointing to hear of instances like this. I'll be passing this experience on as an example of areas where we need to improve and learn from.

In response to your last question - usually, employee email addresses will end in .co.uk, rather than .com. Is there a reason for your asking at all?

Kindest regards,

Beth

Beth

This is absolutely shocking to be honest.  You're the victim of fraud, and they don't give a damn. They even sent the debt collectors after you after you've told them several times it's fraud, and you have an (apparently) open case with them to investigate.

I really hope this gets sorted for you soon 😞

Did this ever get sorted out @Benf2020fraud ?

I observed a lot of fraud phenomenoms these months.

Hi @TresaLonghi,

Thanks for your post. We take all reports of fraud very seriously. 

If there is anything you need help with, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs