cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: why has 4G download speed dropped over the last few weeks 2022

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

I'm using a Samsung s10 mobile sim only which is updated to the latest software.. Bags of free space & memory etc yet my download speed is 2.6 which is seriously low. Is it because I'm now on a rolling contract?

This lack of speed is at home or work or out and about yet it was faster.

Are there issues with the 4g speeds?

Would a replacement sim fix the problem or is there no problem??? 

14 REPLIES 14

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Damage1_1,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see your Mobile download speed has dropped, when was the last time you had a replacement Sim and how long have you noticed the drop in speed?

Regards

Paul.

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

The last sim card was a few years ago. 

I only noticed this drop a couple of months ago.. It seemed to be getting slower... Then I actually tested it!!! 

I would advise trying a new Sim, we have recently moved over to the O2 Network, so I can arrange this for you I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

Excellent. Got to be worth a try. 

Cheers 

Roger 

Unfortunately low speeds are perfectly normal on O2 The network is massively overloaded and can't meet demand. It's constantly rated as the slowest of the four main networks. 

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

I'm actually using a Virgin Mobile sim but have heard their contract with Vodaphone will soon expire. I suppose they will just throw everyone onto O2 masts and congest them further?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin are now on O2. Your slow download speeds are not uncommon on O2. The network is over subscribed for the amount of bandwidth they need in places.

Your speeds are similar to mine at home. I have both Vodafone and O2 in a dual sim phone. I was originally going to transfer to O2 completely, but there is no way now. 

I was in Warrington Town Centre recently and data was at dead stop on O2. 50Mbps on Vodafone 4G

Adding 3 million Virgin customers to the network count had done no favours to anybody 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

It really doesn't make commercial sense to drop millions of mobile clients into oblivion though??

After all...Virgin are market leaders in this field and I have to assume (hopefully) that this joining together of companies and networks would be cost effective and beneficial to both clients and company alike.

Folk tend to vote with their feet these days...so if the system isn't sorted or just doesn't work...they'll move to another service provider. 

I really can't see VM wanting to loose clients, money, profit, business etc.

So...I am hoping this is just a glitch and will soon be sorted.......if not.....watch my feet.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Damage1_1 wrote:

It really doesn't make commercial sense to drop millions of mobile clients into oblivion though??

Virgin Media & O2 have formed a UK 50/50 joint venture, and the performance of O2's mobile side is undoubtedly a weak link.

Once the JV was announced, the writing was always on the wall for the other wholesale MVNO contract with VF.

VM are heavily pushing quad-play where TV, broadband, landline & mobile are bundled together - and the bundle discounts on mobile are evident. It's to be expected - you just need to make sure O2's mobile network is good enough for you. For many, their shortcomings are evident and are not likely to improve in the short to medium term.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks