cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virgin 4G switched onto Vodafone network

Rob33
Joining in

Upgraded my two Virgin Mobile phones (one for me, one for the wife) on 16th July to 5G. New 5G enabled phones can not be delivered until 14th Aug. The new contract kicked in on 25th July, and have had network connection issues ever since on our existing phones.

When the phones do connect to a network it shows as Vodafone UK. Spent over an hour talking to Customer Services, who instructed me to manually connect the phones to firstly Virgin, and then EE.

Have tried to manually connect to Virgin several times resulting with the same error message about my SIM is unable to register with Virgin. EE is not an option to select manually, and out of the options available the only I can register with is Vodafone UK, which gives me a patchy connection which seems to have now settled at 2 bars signal strength.

This issue is clearly part of the ongoing switch over by Virgin from the EE to Vodafone network, yet the two customer service agents at Virgin seemed baffled by my issue, and at first suggested I need to switch SIMs. Then when EE was not listed on the manual Network connection blamed my current device. Before saying if the connection problems persist call again.

4 REPLIES 4

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All upgrades are now on Vodafone. Why your phones display Vodafone and not Virgin, I'm not sure. 

What make and model?

However, there is no guarantee that reception will be better on the new phones.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Enlli

We are currently using Samsung A50s, and we are still showing as connected to Vodafone. I knew about the change by Virgin to using Vodafone network, and could not workout why the Customer Service Agent insisted that I try to connect to EE, their previous network supplier. That made no sense to me.

Hi @Rob33 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you're having 4G connection issues.  I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

JitteryPinger
Super solver

@Rob33 wrote:

Spent over an hour talking to Customer Services, who instructed me to manually connect the phones to firstly Virgin, and then EE.

Have tried to manually connect to Virgin several times resulting with the same error message about my SIM is unable to register with Virgin.

Please note that what devices show as Virgin in the manual network selection lists is in most cases actually the Emergency Service Network and thus will not be connectable.

Your devices should now of been transffered to Vodafone's network and that should be showing as Virgin also in the network selection, however if EE isn't showing and Vodafone is then its likely that the transfer from EE's network to Vodafone's has hit a snaffu and needs some attention (like new sim cards)

The Giggitty 1