cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ESIM - Needs upgrade of plan?

fleetafoot
Tuning in

So I assume Virgin Mobile are no longer/unable to support eSIMs - if you can't get them then they are not supported.  I wonder if this is a technical, commercial or security issue?  Either way they are way behind the curve of what some consumers need.

Is anybody able to clarify? 

4 REPLIES 4

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fleetafoot,

I'm afraid that we currently don't offer eSIMs. Sorry. If you have any issues with your mobile services or SIM card, please let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I do have a problem with VM's mobile services, they don't support eSIMs.

O2 supported from Sept 2019, Vodafone and "3" in Sep 2020, EE seems to have support from 2018 and it's now 2022 and VM still don't support. I suppose being a virtual network provider they will always be at the back of a technological queue, I just did not expect the queue to be that long, but fully aligned with the relative time you have to wait for a support agent to answer the phone/chat session.

Its amazing the contrasts for VM being a leading broadband provider and a complete laggard provider in mobile.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin mobile have always been the poor relation compared with the broadband side. 

As there is a major shift from using EE to using Vodafone then I suspect eSIM will be on hold.

To my knowledge no MNVO issues an eSIM 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, it seems that eSIM offerings from MVNOs are indeed limited - not even Telefonica owned GiffGaff.  But VM did offer eSIMS for a short period of time so I wonder what the real issues are. Maybe the "core" operators are concerned about losing more market share, but I wonder if this type of service https://cellulardata.ubigi.com/ is an indication of what will be possible in the future, although it looks expensive currently.

To me, the real business cases for eSIMs are:

• the provisioning mobile devices for enterprises (especially those that are globally managed) and
  • using eSIMs to facilitate dual SIM functionality either to:
  • separate private and business calls and/or
  • when roaming to reduce at times crazy roaming fees.

In my case, it's all about reducing the number of handsets I have to carry around.  Using an eSIM will save me from paying for/carrying an additional device or changing to a legacy style dual SIM handset.