Menu
envida
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Push Notification Speed

Do Virgin get lower priority from EE for push notifications or something?

When I was with  Vodafone push notifications for Monzo, Starling Bank, Microsoft logins etc were instant. Now I'm with Virgin Mobile it can sometimes take 5 or 10 minutes for them to come through, the worst was 15 minutes. All very irritating when you are dealing with things like time sensitive logins .

My parents are with EE and they get the same notifications much quicker then I am with virgin, more like the speed they used to come through for me when I was with Vodafone. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Push Notification Speed

Hi envida,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some delays with the push notifications.

As far as i'm aware there is no issue with this being reported.

I would like you to try a network refresh to see if this will help resolve this issue.

Manual Network refresh

• Switch handset to 2G only. This can usually be found by going to the "settings" option within the menu of your phone
  • Manual network search and choose any other network except Virgin or EE e.g., O2, Vodafone etc. (will show unable to connect or Show no service)
  • Then manually search again and choose Virgin.
  • Then set back to 4G (if they are only on 3G tariff then choose 3G)
  • Reboot, make a test call. It should be working now.

If the above still doesn't work, please verify the following checks have been done:

• SMSC (Short Message Service Centre) number is +447458399008 (for VM Controlled SIM) or +447958879890 (EE Hosted SIM) (found in the text app>Settings>Message Centre number)
  • Can you try your SIM card in another handset to see if calls/texts come through? What are the results of this? (Cross Test)

If your still experiencing this after the refresh pop back and let me know so I can look into this for you.

Take care,

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
envida
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I've run through all of the stuff on your last post and am still having issues with slow push notifications. 

Thing is they work perfectly on WiFi or with my O2, PlusNet or Vodafone SIMs in the same phone. It's just with my Virgin Mobile 4G/3G connection that I have delays.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi envida,

Thanks for getting back to us. I have picked up this post for Louise, because I'd like to escalate this to our technicians to see what's causing the problem with your push notifications. In order to do this, I will need to take more information from you, so I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi envida,

Thank you for confirming your details via PM. After running further checks, I have ordered a replacement SIM card for you. 

The new SIM will be delivered in 3 to 5 working days. When you receive it, please follow the instructions in the pact to activate the SIM card.

Please test this for 48 hours after activation and let me know if this improves the push notification issue.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Mark_G3
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, did you get this sorted? I'm having the same issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark_G3,

Thank you for reaching out on us. I would like to know if this  affecting all apps and have you had a SIM replacement since noticing the issue? If not, we may need to look at replacing the SIM.

Hope we hear anything from you so we can further assist.

Thanks,

Raziel_I

0 Kudos
toasty772
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Had exactly the same issue, got sent a replacement sim, no change. Tried a different handset, no change. Reset network settings multiple times, guess what? no change.

No delays at all when can I was connected to Wifi.

Finally lost patience and migrated to another provider and - wow - the issue went away....

0 Kudos
Mark_G3
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raziel, 

It is affecting all apps. I haven't had a replacement sim but I'd be happy to try one .

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate your response Mark_G3. Please do keep us posted if you need anything.

Thanks,

Raziel_I

0 Kudos