Menu
Highlighted
Juditleiros
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Proof of usage for insurance claim - last chance before complaint!

Hi, I've been trying to get a proof of usage document from Virgin for two months now with no luck from your call centre customer services.

I need the first and last date the phone with the IMEI number I am claiming for was used on your network. Not the bill - the bill does not have the IMEI number on it. Also not the proof of purchase - this does not have proof that the phone was used on your network.

I've spoken to the insurance company and they insist that because I got both the phone and SIM through Virgin you absolutely have this information and you are legally obliged to supply it to me.

If this issue does not get resolved through this forum today then the official complaints will start.

The exact text from the insurance company is below so there is no confusion about exactly what is required:

- The third requirement is a proof of usage document. As explained we require this document so we can see that you phone has been in use since you took out your policy with us. It is a document from Virgin  that will highlight that last date your IMEI was used on their network, this document must include the following details:
- Virgin  letter head/ logo
- Your name and address
- Your make and model of phone
- Your IMEI number
- The first and last date your IMEI was used on their network

Looking forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Proof of usage for insurance claim - last chance before complaint!

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

this is the document with instructions. hopefully of some help (unless you've already seen it).

0 Kudos
Juditleiros
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks but I have got the proof of purchase. What I need is the proof of usage:

- The third requirement is a proof of usage document. As explained we require this document so we can see that you phone has been in use since you took out your policy with us. It is a document from Virgin  that will highlight that last date your IMEI was used on their network, this document must include the following details:
- Virgin  letter head/ logo
- Your name and address
- Your make and model of phone
- Your IMEI number
- The first and last date your IMEI was used on their network

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

oops, yep you're right.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Juditleiros
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it's a slightly different case because the phone was broken rather than stolen. I'm quite happy to complain about the insurance company as well as Virgin and see which company sorts the problems out first - they've both done things worthy of complaining about. But as far as I'm concerned, Virgin has this data, it's my data, they need to give it to me. Besides, the insurance company's customer service representatives have been polite, helpful and in general seem to have the ability to follow a case over multiple phone calls and emails, and follow up on things discussed, none of which apply to Virgin's customer service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Juditleiros,

If you purchased your handset from Virgin Mobile, we can provide you with a document showing proof of purchase, which will include

• The purchase date
  • The handset make & model
  • Order number
  • Mobile Phone Number
  • IMEI

If you have not purchased your handset from Virgin Mobile, we will not be able to provide this document.

If you would like a document showing usage, you can email or print out a copy of your billing.

We do not provide a document showing usage based on your IMEI. This is the reason that Customer Services have not been able to provide this when you have requested it previously. Our documentation will show usage, including charges, for your mobile number, but this is the same document you can access on your online account.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Juditleiros
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply!

We do already have the proof of purchase document but we also need to provide proof of usage.Unfortunately the insurance company said they do not accept bills. This is what they have said to me on an email:

"Dear Ms Leiros,

We require the following document as part of your Terms and Conditons to proceed with your claim. 

I am writing with regards to your recent claim. Before we can proceed, it is a requirement of your policy that you provide proof of usage for your device. This is evidence that the device has been in use since the policy inception. For mobile phones this can be obtained from your Network provider.

If you intend to request the information from your Network Provider, please request they email us directly with the following details: 

1. Your name and address 
2. Make, model and serial number / IMEI number (if mobile phone) 
3. Date of connection of contract / Date of purchase of gadget 

Please note that we do not accept forwarded emails. 

Please reply with attached documentation to this email as soon as possible to ensure your claim is not delayed.

Should you have any queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us or reply to this email".

Kind Regards,

Lauren Walker
Direct Group
mbx.valid8@directgroup.co.uk

0 Kudos
Juditleiros
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Following up from your previous reply I have emailed my insurance company a couple of bills(first and last) as a proof of usage as you and your colleagues over the phone have been advising me to do for the last 2 weeks. This was the Insurance company's reply I've got this morning(see below).I have no choice but to start a formal complaint if this doesn't get sorted by Friday. Why can't Virgin mobile provide me with this document??

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately bills are not accepted as they show proof of sim card usage and we require proof of IMEI usage. Once you have received this please send it to us, alternatively, if you are unable to obtain this please keep us updated". 

Kind Regards,
Wasim Valimulla
Direct Group
mbx.valid8@directgroup.co.uk

I

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

maybe post #3 on this thread will help get towards getting the right info.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/Proof-of-Usage-required-am-despera...

a data protection act "subject access request"