Menu
HSS
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Proof of usage SIM only

Hello

my son has SIM only with VM. He purchased IPHONE X separately elsewhere. Handset was stolen 24//08/19 and immediately reported to Police and VM providing VM with IMEI details so the phone could be blocked.it was not registered with virgin as third party handset at that time but on checking IMEI24.COM website afterwards I could see phone had indeed been blacklisted - presumably by Vigin at time I reported the theft to you. Is this correct ?

He has since done third party handset registration with VM and they confirm blacklisting was only completed by them at that point ?

Then after more than a week of consistent and numerous tel calls to VM on tel no 789, I can see here and have been told by them that IMEI data is not available when handset is not purchased from VM.

proof that "proof of usage" is not available in these circumstances  is needed for his insurance company - are you able to send him an e.mail  to confirm if he contacts you here ?

NB Strangely in my last conversation to your call centre on Friday, I mentioned GDPA 2018 and wanting to make a " Request of Access " (SAR) for the information. ie evidence that his IMEI has been in use with the SIM from date of purchase to date  of theft.

They have offered an alternative - They now say they can provide an adapted "proof of purchase" document with all info requested and that an email will be sent to my son in 3-5 working days - the matter is currently with their "back room" for processing. I still have my doubts......but I will ring again on Wednesday for update. 

What do you think ?

If I do need to go down GDPR route and have to request SAR  (which under the 2018 Act has now to be provided in 30 days ) please advise how this should be done.

regards 

lesley

0 Kudos
Teoto
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Proof of usage SIM only

You've already made a SAR - they can be made verbally to any point of a business and they have one month from the day following the request to comply. Don't hold your breath though, it seems they have absolutely no regard for personal data. Record any calls you have with them because they appear to coincidentally not record any that are important to you.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Proof of usage SIM only

Hi HSS,

Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to provide a proof of usage for the device as we would only be able to confirm SIM usage and not the device the phone has been used in. We can only provide proof of purchase for handsets bought from us.

Your monthly phone bill would confirm general usage of the SIM but not for the handset.

If the handset has indeed been blacklisted for you then your insurance provider should be able to check the IMEI to confirm the handset is indeed blacklisted. The company should just need this confirmation as well as a proof of purchase from yourself if this is something they also want, the receipt from purchasing the handset would cover the proof.

The SAR would only cover details that we hold on you from the account. It may include the info that the handset is on your account as a 3rd party handset. However this would only confirm that you've asked us to put the handset on your account, not that it has been used with the number in question as this isn't something we can confirm.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos