cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with iPhone connecting while overseas

JVogel
Joining in

Greetings,

I have an iPhone 11 with iOS15.5 and a Virgin SIM. I am presently in France.

I have 2 problems:

1) While in my lodgings, where there is WiFi, I cannot make or receive telephone calls using “WiFi calling”. I have verified on the Apple site all the necessary steps but no luck (see 2nd problem).

2) The mobile operator that is paired with Virgin while in France is Bouygues. The signal is atrocious - in those rare moments when there is any signal at all.

NB. My wife uses O2 (UK provider). She has none of the above 2 problems.

This is more than a nuisance, as often I require 2 factor authorisation and the confirmatory SMS does not get through which leaves me unable to use several web based activities (bank, university library, purchases, etc)

Any advice?

Many thanks,
John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe worth trying:

• Select Settings from the Home Screen
  • Select Mobile Data
  • Select SIM Applications
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

iPhone or iPad with an eSIM

• Select Mobile Data
  • Select the Virgin data plan
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

Once you return to the UK you’ll need to follow the steps above again but make sure you’ve set the both the Network and SIM Modes back to Automatic, otherwise your device may not reconnect to our network in the UK.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JVogel,

Thanks so much for posting here and welcome to our forum page.
Sorry to hear you are getting these issues with using ''WiFi Calling'' while abroad, as well as the poor coverage issue.

In regard to the coverage, as this is based on the services our fellow provider in France this query should be addressed to the local supplier as we do not have any control from here in this instance.

About the technical issue with making calls over the WiFi, could you please advise us whether your a) roaming settings are on and b) WiFi Calling is enabled? 
Once we get this information we will do our best to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply. 
In answer to the following:

About the technical issue with making calls over the WiFi, could you please advise us whether your a) roaming settings are on -Yes

and b) WiFi Calling is enabled? - Yes

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response JVogel,

We might have to get a closer look into this for you.
I will send you a PM now for this.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe worth trying:

• Select Mobile Data
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

iPhone or iPad with an eSIM

• Select Mobile Data
  • Select the Virgin data plan
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

Once you return to the UK you’ll need to follow the steps above again but make sure you’ve set the both the Network and SIM Modes back to Automatic, otherwise your device may not reconnect to our network in the UK.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have a queatiion related to this. Fairly recently Virgin took me off of their old Virgin mobile phone system and put me onto O2. 

My question is that now I have a car with Apple Play will I be good to use this in France for navigation? I'm not really clear in my mind whether Apple Play uses SATNAV or telephone masts.

Cheers. 

Morning brightonjohn,

Thanks for posting, you'd need to ask Apple regarding this and they'll be able to help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill