Menu
Highlighted
mamachill
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Problems using new SIMs

Recently, a Virgin message came up that it was important to get the new sim otherwise  the old one would expire and we wouldn't be able to use the phone, i have two sims, one for me & my mother, the phones were purchased in Asda years ago, free network, we went with Virgin and have been with you ever since. When the new sims came and we put them in it said "network key"  no codes worked so i phoned Virgin and was told i would have to get the phones unlocked for the new sims to work?  I asked why when i've always been with Virgin, the advisor didn't know but though it was because Virgin were part of EE but were going there own way, so it might be locked on the EE network?  To cut along story short, we ended the conversation and i phoned again, this time another advisor told me the same thing, when  i kicked up, they said to just carry on using the old simm, because there was no actual deadline to stop it so it didn't matter ? Yet again appalled at the Virgin service, I haven't changed mine over, but i had to go and pay to get my mothers phone  unlocked from virgin to take the new virgin sim?????? Was this just yet again rubbish info from advisors or has anyone else been told the same thing?  Cheers 

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Shafted?

Virgin have become what is known as a "Thick MNVO". This means that although they still use EE for signal most other things are now done by them.

The old SIM cards were basically EE rebadged, the new ones show a different network number and no longer work in EE locked phones.

Virgin are pushing to get all the SIM cards changed over before disconnecting the old. There is no firm date for that to happen as yet.

0 Kudos
mamachill
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, it's a disgusting way to treat customers though, I never locked in with EE I signed up with Virgin, so to have to go and pay to get a phone unlocked to work with the new sim is unacceptable, I've already gone somewhere else for my phone and will be cancelling.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As your phones were originally ASDA they too would be locked to EE. (ASDA's supplier) and would work on any network that used them. e.g. PlusNet 

0 Kudos
mamachill
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I purchased the phones from Asda about 10yrs ago off the shelf, no contract, no network, chose to go with Virgin, I shouldn't then 10yrs later have to go and pay to get my phone unlocked from a virgin sim to take the new virgin Sim, it's out of order.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if it was sim free it wont be locked now. If you bought one locked to EE and used a VM sim it it it has always been locked to EE.

A network sim can't lock it unless it was an Iphone. In that case, apple makeup there own rules and used to lock to the first sim used.

0 Kudos
mamachill
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So as predicted the usual rubbish clueless advice from Virgin advisors when I ring up then? Glad to be getting out.
0 Kudos