cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems receiving confirmation text messages

robklyn
Tuning in

Hi,

I have recently joined virgin mobile & I have been updating my number with various people & websites that I am register with. I have tried numerous time to update & verify my number with amazon.co.uk but I have never received a confirmation text from them. I have rang customer services & have been told the line is fine. I have since looked on the EE community and found this reply to a customer who appeared to be having the same problem:-

Re: Cannot receive Amazon verification sms

Thank you for posting into the community

Hopefully, we can get this resolved for you quickly

I had the same issue as yourself not only receiving Amazon texts, but other verification texts. 

The issue was that i had a requested the third party/premium text block and this sometimes stops the types of texts companies send to verify

Are you on Pay monthly or Pay as you go?

I can see if our chat team can help you.

Lee

Can anybody help as I am not having any luck with customer services or being able to find a solution online.

Thanks

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AlexKid
Community elder

Hi Rob,

I have a Virgin mobile myself and whilst I can't specifically recall dealing with Amazon, I have received the sort of text's you are referring to when updating my details with other companies.

Is it just Amazon you are having this problem with?

When you say you "rang customer services" are you referring to VM cs or Amazon cs?

Perhaps a phone call to Amazon cs may be a "work around"

I know that Virgin Mobile don't do premium text blocking (because of the amount of posts on this forum that wish they did Smiley Frustrated )

They do incidentally do "Premium call baring" > You can find this if you look at your account on line. Go to "Manage your services" and the ON/OFF option is there. Along with Parental control, Voicemail, Roaming and International call baring.

AlexKid 🙂

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

46 REPLIES 46

AlexKid
Community elder

Hi Rob,

I have a Virgin mobile myself and whilst I can't specifically recall dealing with Amazon, I have received the sort of text's you are referring to when updating my details with other companies.

Is it just Amazon you are having this problem with?

When you say you "rang customer services" are you referring to VM cs or Amazon cs?

Perhaps a phone call to Amazon cs may be a "work around"

I know that Virgin Mobile don't do premium text blocking (because of the amount of posts on this forum that wish they did Smiley Frustrated )

They do incidentally do "Premium call baring" > You can find this if you look at your account on line. Go to "Manage your services" and the ON/OFF option is there. Along with Parental control, Voicemail, Roaming and International call baring.

AlexKid 🙂

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me.

So far it is just Amazon I am having problems with. I am slightly suspicious as I am signed up to text alerts from my bank & utility companies & as of yet not received anything (I am putting that down to only having recently joined virgin mobile).

I have contacted Amazon customer services on the phone & was assured there is no problem. I have tried an o2 pay & go sim & tried the confirmation process with that number & it completed without any problems. I have also closed my Amazon account & created a new account & tried the confirmation process with my virgin mobile number & an o2 number with the same results of the o2 number confirming ok & not receiving anything with my virgin number.

I have spoken to virgin mobile customer service on the 789 contact number & was advised to send a text message to myself which I did while on the line & was told that my phone line is active & working fine & that there is probably just a time delay in the Amazon text service, yet it has been a week since speaking to customer service & have tried several times to confirm my Amazon account with no luck.

I have check my virgin mobile account & the premium call barring is set to OFF (Turning on premium barring will stop you being able to call premium rate numbers such as competition numbers and chat lines)

If there is anything you could suggest would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Rob

Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forums 🙂

From a network point of view, all sounds well on our side. I'm afraid there's nothing that we could process on our side to push these messages through. Are regular SMS messages continuing to come through?

Let me know when you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rob,

How are you getting on with this currently?

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

manuelfog
Joining in

This issue is not exclusive to Amazon, there is a list of service providers including Google, Twitter, Facebook, Revenue.ie and many others that cannot deliver messages to Virgin Media customers, because VM does not support the SMS premium codes they use. This is a VM problem and in my opinion a very serious one. I am considering myself to leave the company as this verification step is required to have a secure access to all this services.

It is a huge issue and they just reply they might fix it in the future. The chat team just told me there is nothing they can do, it is what it is...

I gave up in the end & switched to vodafone & have been getting text messages through from amazon, gmail & all of my utility companies that had not come through while I was with virgin. Also the main thing that did it for me was I had been to tesco opticians for an eye test & got some new glassess, the optician said they had sent me a text confirmation to say my new glassess were ready to pick up, yet I never received it, when switching to vodafone I have since had another eye test at tesco opticians & got new glassess & this time received the text saying my glassess were ready to pick up.

I am aware that being able to receive these types of text messages may be trivial but as paying customers we are paying for this service along with the fact that technology is supposed to make our lives easier along with causing trouble when it does not work, i.e confirmation/reminder of doctors, dentist, jobseekers appointments.

I have since left & has a full working service with vodafone which is slightly more expensive than virgin but at least im getting a full service

**bleep** **bleep** virgin mobile!

I spent an hour and a half with my bank's tech support and your idiot foreign call centre on Saturday trying to figure out why i couldn't get my Natwest banking app activation code.

In the end I asked to speak to a supervisor as the idiot I was speaking with had no idea and was told they'd get one to call back!

Sunday when I had my phone off they called back - nothing since!

No wonder customers are leaving - it's a **bleep** service and getting worse!

There are a number of SMS messages not getting through to me recently - personal as well as business!

Virgin mobile really needs a kick up the arse!

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Northwinds,

Thanks for posting.

Let me start off by apologising for the inconvenience this is causing. As a mobile banking person myself I can appreciate the frustration.

I can confirm this issue is being investigated for codes from the RBS Group. This is mainly happening on the new purple VM SIM cards.

At this stage I don't know when it's going to be fixed but can try my best to update the community when I have more information.

In the meantime, I know some people have had success by either using a different number or SIM just to get it activated.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"