cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems accessing data or making/receiving calls abroad

Fionnula123
Joining in

Currently in Portugal and am stuck without any access to data or able to make and receive calls. I can receive texts and got a welcome to Portugal text from Virgin, but apart from that, I am unable to call or use my data. I've checked that data roaming is ON, and restarted my phone several times but nothing happens. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have a Samsung Note 9.

I can confirm that I used this same phone last year in another country and I could receive texts, make and receive calls and data worked (however this was not with Virgin network - I used a local sim). So I believe there is nothing wrong with my phone.

1 REPLY 1

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Fionnula123 thanks a lot for your message although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

As a minimum, we do need to ensure the following have been done: 
You have fully activated roaming on your device. (you have already confirmed this)
When putting your SIM card in to another device, are things then working or do you have the same issue?
We also need to check if the SIM toolkit as been switched on:
For an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 
Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 
It might be worth trying to do a manual network search to see if you can connect to any others and see if that helps. It could be that the network you're connected too maybe doesn't have the best signal where you are. This is out of our control as we don't use our own networks outside of the UK. 
Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 
Thanks

Tom_W