Menu
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Problem sending text to a shortcode number

Once per month, my wife receives a text from a shortcode number (5 digits) requesting that she take her blood pressure. She does so and replies to that number. She then receives an acknowledgement almost immediately.

This has worked as expected for many months until yesterday. When she tried to SEND her reply she received a message: ” Messages …This will cause charges to your account”. She sent her reply anyway but never received an acknowledgement. She has tried again several times with the same results and I have tried on my phone also with the same results. It may be coincidental, but this problem has only occurred since we both replaced the SIM cards on our phones at Virgin’s request.

I have also noticed on our Recent Usage screens that sending a text to this number appears as:

International text            00nnnnn            £0.30

ie an extra 2 zeros have been added to the number.

Also, there is a second line:

International text re-credit           00nnnnn            £-0.30

so it looks as if we have not been charged but it also looks as if the message was never sent since we do not get an acknowledgement.

As it happens, I have just received a text from Virgin from 85060 asking for feedback on one of your advisers. When I tried to respond, I got the “This will cause charges to your account” message but my reply worked and I received a reply from 85060. My Recent usage screen shows:

Premium text     85060   £0.00    ie no extra zeros added to the number and no charge.

Sorry about the length of this message but I have tried to give you the whole story as an aid to resolving the problem.

0 Kudos
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem sending text to a shortcode number

This problem is still occurring on both my wife's phone & my own phone. I received a reminder from my Dentist today asking me to reply to a 4-digit number. Did this and got the message warning that I would be charged. Tried to send but got "Failed SMS" error message.

Any chance of a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Having received no reply to either of my earlier posts, I phoned 150 two days ago and the person I spoke to said she would send me 2 new SIM cards to try to solve the problem. I have received the SIM cards and successfully installed them but the problems described in my earlier messages still occur.

What do I do now? I could obviously phone 150 again but it is quite difficult to explain this problem over the phone. 

0 Kudos
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To add to this monologue ...

It occurred to me that I should check my wife's bill to see what appeared on 20/11 ie the last time she submitted her blood pressure reading before encountering the error on 20/12.

Her bill shows:

20/11/2017      Premium Text       nnnnnn      £0.00

whereras, as described on my original post, the bill for 20/12 shows:

20/12/2017     International text                         00nnnnn            £0.30      ie an extra 2 zeros have been added to the number and a second line:

20/12/2017     International text re-credit           00nnnnn            £-0.30

So, something has changed since 20/11! 

It would be good to have Virgin Mobile investigate this.

0 Kudos
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To continue ....

Phoned 789 yesterday (24/1) and asked if I could send an e-mail listing the full details of my problem as set out in previous posts. The response was "We don't support e-mails but can I help?" I explained the bare bones of the problem and was told to ring off & try:

Settings/Mobile networks/Network Operators/Search Networks. Then select Virgin and turn off my phone for 15 minutes.

This did not work!

0 Kudos
caravanj
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

jellyroll wrote:

To add to this monologue ...

It occurred to me that I should check my wife's bill to see what appeared on 20/11 ie the last time she submitted her blood pressure reading before encountering the error on 20/12.

Her bill shows:

20/11/2017      Premium Text       nnnnnn      £0.00

whereras, as described on my original post, the bill for 20/12 shows:

20/12/2017     International text                         00nnnnn            £0.30      ie an extra 2 zeros have been added to the number and a second line:

20/12/2017     International text re-credit           00nnnnn            £-0.30

So, something has changed since 20/11! 

It would be good to have Virgin Mobile investigate this.

This is answered here & may apply to any short code text.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/Billing-Error-For-Balance-Request-T...

0 Kudos
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Your problem is a billing problem. My problem is that the texts to short numbers are not sent (or are sent but not received).

Today, 27/1, my wife and I visited a local Virgin shop. The man insisted that my wife's blood pressure texts were being sent so the problem must lie at the far end. On reflection, he is partly correct: they are being sent to 00nnnnn rather than nnnnn so they are sent but never received.

He phoned up the "fault centre" who changed the Messaging Centre phone number on my phone and said this would take effect in 24 hours and might solve my problem. We shall see.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Daniel_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi jellyrol

Thanks for your post really sorry about the delayed response.

It sounds like the message centre phone number should have resolved the issue.

I hope it has.

Here if you need us further

Thanks,

Daniel_G - Forum Team

Need help swapping your SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM here. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
jellyroll
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Changing the message centre phone number has made no difference.

I need someone to explain why a text to 64711 gets sent to 0064711 (and so presumably never arrives at 64711) but this did not happen before 20 December 2017 (see my post 2 weeks ago) when texts to this number worked correctly. 

Texts to my dentist to 8nnn still give "Failed SMS" message.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Daniel_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Really sorry about this jellyroll.

As this has continued to happened, the only advice I can advise if it's still happening regardless of replying directly or as a new text and you personally inputting the number.

Would be to give us a further call so our team can further look into this.

Thanks,

Daniel_G - Forum Team

Need help swapping your SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM here. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos