cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number with/without cancelling SIM (Oomph)

SD-L20
Tuning in

Hi, please could someone assist with the following;

I have a 5GB SIM as part of the Oomph Big Bundle.  I need to port my number to another provider (my previous) due to a terrible signal at home which leads to phone conversations cutting out. I had thought this might be an issue with my phone but having tried the SIM in a number of handsets it's still terrible.

I'm aware that I can just simply request my PAC code however understand that this may impact on my current services/monthly fee.  I have no issue with our broadband and TV, we've been quite happy with those and I'm willing to keep a SIM in a drawer for the next 6 months if necessary....I just want a decent signal and my number that I've had for over 10 years.  

I had horrendous problems initially with registering the SIM and access to my online account management and made a written complaint regarding this, so you will understand that I am unwilling to go round in circles for hours again using the call centre, with a terrible signal!    

I have a landline but no phone to utilise it as we use our mobiles.

Thank you in advance 

3 REPLIES 3

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @SD-L20,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with mobile signal at the moment, have the team been able to advise what the issues are?

If you are to port your number out from us, this would invalidate the current package that you have with us, you would be able to keep your current package until this is picked up by one of our back office teams and once they do this they will downgrade you to the lowest possible package and possibly with out any other services. 

The other option would be for you to take out a sim only deal with a new number, we can then transfer this number to be part of your oomph sim, we can then give you the PAC code for your main number and keep the same Oomph deal that you're on right now. Would you like to do this?   

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L, thank you for the helpful and quick response.  I would be interested in discussing the additional SIM option further. My concerns here would be monthly cost and terms regarding then cancelling the mobile contract.  We have 6 months to run on our current package and will obviously be considering our options in terms of staying with Virgin or signing up to another provider.  So for example, I would be interested as to whether taking out the additional SIM means extending our contract for the other services and impacts on our notice period etc.

I should add that although I did highlight the signal issue to one of your colleagues, we were trying to sorting out another issue.  To be honest it was such a trial gaining access to the online account management platform that I lost the energy to try and address the signal issues. My work phone runs on a Vodafone signal and is just as bad (hence the move to another provider). 

Many thanks 😁

Thanks for coming back to us.

My understanding of it would be it would recontract you or you'd pay full price to keep the end date the same as now on the current contract.

As if you did port out, this would invalidate the current bundle and to get the lower price back with the new SIM, you'd then need to recontract

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill