cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from VM to O2

Tenebreaux
On our wavelength

Hi all. My Ultimate Oomph contract was up and I negotiated a deal to 1Gig Volt. Very nice Scottish lady organised the whole thing and told me she'd organise the port to O2 from her end.

Got an email from O2 saying my new O2 sim was in the post and giving me a new mobile number. The whole point of porting was so that I don't need a new number. At this point I don't know if my old number is going to be ported and the new O2 number killed and if it is going to be ported, when? There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out via either MyVirgin or MyO2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jevans25
On our wavelength

Once you activate your new sim it will start porting the number you want to keep, the new number you’ve been given is just temporary. I’m currently in the same situation.

hope that helps

Jordan

Volt M500,Talk Anytime Calls with O2 Sim

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jevans25
On our wavelength

Once you activate your new sim it will start porting the number you want to keep, the new number you’ve been given is just temporary. I’m currently in the same situation.

hope that helps

Jordan

Volt M500,Talk Anytime Calls with O2 Sim

That will do. Cheers.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Tenebreaux,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the details of your number switch. 

As @jevans25 advised, we provide a temporary number at first, so that your number, which is being switched over, overrides the temporary number.

You can read more about our number switching process on our website for more information: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile-switching-faqs.

Depending on when your switching process starts, it can take two working days for it to be completed.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance going forward. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I am in the same position.

I have received my new O2 sim, should i just put it in and wait for the transfer?

you say it could take 2 working days? so no texts or phone calls in that time?

I do have a pac code on my mobile account page?

thanks in advance

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you given your PAC code from Virgin to O2?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

no not yet wasnt sure if it was automatic.have you got a phone number please?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt it is automatic as at the moment Virgin and O2 SIM cards are on different systems

From O2 Help

You can give us your PAC code online, call us on 202 free from your O2 phone or on 0344 809 0202 from any other phone, or visit an O2 store. PAC codes are only valid for 30 days, but if yours expires, don't worry – you can always request a new one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There is an online form too https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number/online-form
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi medionman,

Thank you for your post. You would need to give your PAC code to O2 for them to port the away.

^Martin