Menu
scurtis
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor signal in new phone

I'm on a sim-only deal and have recently bought a new phone (Sony XA2), and transferred the existing SIM into it. I have the mobile data set to "3G (preferred)/2G" (I don't have a 4G SIM), and around where I live (north London) I'm now usually only getting 2G, whereas in my old phone the local signal strength was always good enough for 3G.

Also, I was in Canterbury yesterday, and had trouble getting any data to work at all, both indoors and outdoors, in various parts of the city (the Virgin website classes this as 'Good Signal Strength' for 3G).

Before I complain to the manufacturer, is there anything I can try on the network side to improve things?

Thanks,

Sue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor signal in new phone

Hi Sue,

I am sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the signal. You've advised you don't have a 4G SIM at the moment, am I right in assuming that you don't currently have a tariff that includes 4G data? Have you been able to try your SIM in another phone to see if you still experience signal issues? Were you able to check the reception levels you were receiving on the phone whilst you were in Canterbury? One thing we always recommend if you are experiencing connectivity issues in an area you should be getting strong coverage in is to run a manual network search to reconnect to our network, this will force the phone to connect to the strongest signal for that network which would usually mean connecting to a closer mast.

One other issue that may be affecting the connection is there may be a fault with one of the masts in your area that occurred coincidentally around the time you changed phones. If you're happy to provide your postcode I can take a look at the masts and coverage in your local area.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
scurtis
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the response.

I don't know if my plan includes 4G - when I log into my account it just tells me how many minutes and how much data I have, not whether it includes 4G. Is there a way to tell? 

Several times I've done a manual search and connected to the 3G Virgin service that (sometimes) appears. I get 3G for a while, then it goes back to 2G.

I've tried putting the SIM back into the old phone - it seems to have a much better signal strength.

Is there anything along the lines of APN settings I can check? Is it worth me trying to get a replacement SIM?

The postcode is N21 (if that's not accurate enough, can I PM you the full postcode?).

Thanks,

Sue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'll send you a PM about this Sue.

0 Kudos