cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor reception when home

dexterul
Tuning in

Since about February i started having very poor mobile data reception when i'm at home. If i limit my phone to use only 2/3G it stays nearly full , but if i enable 2,3,4G then it will go up to 4G but only with 1 bar and internet is dead. As I get away further from the house the better the reception is.Also funnily enough , in my work office where historically I didn't have much reception unless i was close to the window , now i have nearly full reception. Alas , now i work from home and I would really like it to go back to how it was before. VM tech sent me a new SIM but doesn't seem to behave differently, they said they will call me back in a week but they haven't. Device is a OnePlus 7 and i made a note to keep in mind that this issue didn't happen after an OS upgrade and neither any upgrades aftwards fix it or made it worse.

Predominant band is 234 38 LTE B20 (806.00MHz) with the nearest tower approx 100m away. (taken from LTE Discovery app)

Any setting or tweak I can change to improve it ? I've tried SIM1 and SIM2 with SIM1 behaving worse (even got total loss)

20 REPLIES 20

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well, at the beginning of the year Virgin moved off EE and onto Vodafone for signal, so there is a possibility there. 

This is Vodafone's coverage map

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yea , i've checked that network coverage and my post code is set for full reception in SE6 1HW.

ReceptionReception

Hi @dexterul

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, unfortunately with a mobile signal and everything showing as fine with your masts etc this can just be down to environmental issues with your property. The materials used in the construction of some homes and business premises can affect indoor signal, for example traditional thick stone walls and slate roofs, and also newer glazing and materials used for insulation. I would suggest looking into WiFi calling, more can be seen here 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Travis.

I'm not 100% sure but i believe my phone doesn't support Wifi calling.

In regards to the building , i spend most of my time in an extension built which acts as kitchen/living room (1 bed house).

3 of the walls/ceiling around this room have outside contact so wouldn't think that this could affect it so severely.

Although i would like my phone to be able to do basic tasks like getting calls and making calls , I don't use my phone that often for speaking , i use it mostly for data and my infrastracture is more geared toward ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. The only devices using Wi-Fi are my raspberry pi and my partners phone.

Hi @dexterul

Thank you for your reply

With the coverage checker showing all fine and a new Virgin SIM also being sent out - this rules out any potential issues with the SIM or local coverage masts as it seems to be an environmental issue rather than an issue with the network after having another look into this, especially with it being location specific also.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have to say the coverage maps for all four networks show excellent coverage at my home. Both EE and 3 are unusable. Vodafone and O2 are weak but usable. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yea , the coverage map is pretty unreliable.

Hi @dexterul

Can you check the below settings on the phone? This may improve the signal if not already done.

To do this on iPhone:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Carrier
  3. Set the Carrier slider to Green

To do this on Android

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Mobile Networks
  3. Tap Network Operators
  4. Tap Automatic Selection

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Hi Travis.

Unless there's been any drastic changes recently not sure how that's going to help as that's been my default setting until yesterday when i manually switched for testing purposes.