Menu
nolly1953
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Poor mobile signal - new sim to blame?

I am writing on behalf of a relative who does not use the internet or email.  He had had a VM Sim for years with no problems indoors or out.  About 6 weeks ago VM told him that he would need a new Sim and he received a new Sim for his Doro phone.  Since then he has been experiencing poor signal at home, resulting in not being able to make calls and also having missed calls.  Of course having received the new Sim might be coincidence.  He has tried phoning, but been left on hold for 45 minutes more than one before giving up.

He has tried cleaning the Sim and restarting etc.

Any way to check the source of the problem?

I can PM his number and postcode if required.

Thanks,

nolly1953

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor mobile signal - new sim to blame?

Bump!

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @nolly1953

Welcome back to our Community; I was sorry to understand that your relative is having some issues with their signal since having their new SIM. 

Is it just at home that he's having issues - is he able to make calls in other locations at all? We would be more than happy to take a look at the local area for any known signal nor mast issues; for that we just need the postcode which you are welcome to post in this thread.

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Up to speed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Katie_WT,

Thanks for getting back to me.

His postcode is BT17 0PW

He can sometimes get a signal at home but most of the time he cannot.  He is in his 80's and is afraid of needing assistance and not being able to get a signal.  His signal is better away from home, but even then his signal is sometimes poor.

He (eventually) managed to talk to someone at virgin who said that this was due to his Doro Speakeasy phone only being 2G and that he would need to upgrade to a 4G phone.

Can you do a couple of things for me  please?

Can you check the signal at his local mast?

Can you confirm if he would need a 4G phone - he can only use a phone with push buttons and cannot use a smart phone?  Or would a 3G phone do?

Are there any plans to phase out 3G now that 5G is on the way?  He would not want to upgrade to 3G only to have to upgrade again?

I look forward to your response.

nolly1953

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Up to speed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update - my wife was visiting her dad at that location today.  She also has a virgin Sim.  She had to go upstairs to get a signal!!

Can you please check the mast at BT17 0PW?

nolly1953

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK. I've run this through the OFCOM checker for your postcode. I've chosen indoor with no 4G

Screenshot_20201216-141913_Chrome.jpg

 With those conditions EE is questionable reception. Moving to 4G would not help with Virgin as all calls have to go over 3G or 2G. as the do not have access to 800MHz 4G which is able to cary voice.

My advice on the basis of this would be to move to O2 or Vodafone. As to buying a 4G phone, then yes 3G is in the process of being phased out and some of the bandwidth being used for 4G. You are OK for the moment as the target for 3G closure is sometime in 2022

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Up to speed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Enlli,

Thank you so much. 

You are indeed a very insightful person.  I looked for ages to find a checker but obviously did not search well enough.  It is interesting that Virgin did not suggest that when he phoned!  Do you know if this could be a temporary issue with the mast or how to request someone to check that out?

nolly1953

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A dataset that I have access to, breaks EE's coverage down into different technologies, albeit with slightly "vague" predictions

It reports that coverage on 2G & 3G technologies should be very good here, and Virgin have access to those. The 800Mhz coverage that enlli has alluded to and VM don't have access to, is also excellent but may well be better indoors.

A good test would be whether your coverage is good outdoors.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've checked your location here as they use EE for signal. No faults 

https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

enlli,

Thanks for checking that.  Surely that conflicts with the result of the Ofcom test which showed ??

nolly1953

0 Kudos