Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 21 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor mobile signal at home - EE problem?

i'm sorry to hear that didn't help. 

From what I can see it is showing currently as dead but it could be they have done this to complete work on the mast. Sadly I wouldn't be able to confirm. 

Is there anywhere in your property you can get signal?

^Martin

0 Kudos
APB
Joining in
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Martin and while the signal downstairs is -112dBm, there is a fair -99dBm signal high up at one window upstairs.  Would your recommendation be to but a signal booster then, with the antenna in the attic above that window?

Best regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Sadly as we don't provide them we cannot recommend any signal boosters. If you wish to try you then by all means you can. My apologies.

^Martin

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Signal boosters are an expensive option. Ofcom approved ones are hundreds.

The signal strength you mentioned, is that 4g, 3g or 2g.

As you probably know, vm don't use 4g for calls so 3g or 2g signal is a better indication for if you can make/receive calls.

I have seen another solution a long time ago (over a year) on this forum.

They found the sweet spot for phone reception, left their phone there when at home and used a Bluetooth device of some description for calls. I think that's an extreme solution though. 

0 Kudos
APB
Joining in
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Paul, that's really helpful and thank you.  Yes, the signal boosters are an expensive option - especially if EE are doing some maintenance and the signal recovers!

The signal strength I used was 4G and you made me think that with one of the free apps the phone can be switched to prefer 2G.  I have done that and while inconvenient to have to switch back to 4G when I go out it is an adequate and cost free solution with signal strength increased to a tolerable -99dBm.  So will do that for the time being and see if in due course it all recovers.  To think that only a couple of months ago the speed on 4G was better than on my BT fibre-to-copper broadband ...

Thanks again and best regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

glad to see you have a fix of sorts.

btw my android phone is rooted (it's out of it's 2 year warranty anyway) and I use an app called tasker with a widget app called toggle network type 5.0.

that way, when I connect to my home wifi and no need for 4g, it switches automatically to 2g (which is the best signal at home).

my 2g signal is typically -93 to -97dBm downstairs at home, and as good as -63dBm upstairs (using android app network cell info)

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Just remember that EE's 4G1800 footprint, by design, will never exceed that of their 2G1800 footprint. For the very obvious reason of CSFB. Or to put it another way, you should never have 4G1800 without 2G1800 also being available.

0 Kudos
APB
Joining in
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Paul and Japitts.  The Tasker+switcher solution is a very good idea and many years since I last had to install it - with the switch automated to move to 2G when connected to wifi the solution will be good enough to be permanent ... while also hoping for the local mast to recover!

Best regards, Andrew

0 Kudos