Menu
japitts
Super solver
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor mobile coverage

I appreciate this won't directly help the OP with their coverage problems, but it strikes me that if you're having to force network modes/2G only/no 4G etc etc just to get a signal, then something is badly wrong somewhere. You really shouldn't need to do this except as a diagnostic workaround to identify a problem!!

0 Kudos
Essgee
Tuning in
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I too am new to Virgin Mobile and am extremely disappointed with the coverage in my locality. Despite the Virgin coverage stating excellent for the post code the reality is no service or 1 bar at best. I was somewhat misled in to believing I would get acceptable coverage. ☹️
James_nz7
Tuning in
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

If you've moved from a 3g supplier to 4G with virgin your problem might be the same as mine.

The 4G masts provided by EE that virgin are using are not fully upgraded yet. I live out in the country so am not high priority.

If you change your settings from 4G to 3g you may see a vastly improved phone signal for voice calls.

Download an app such as Phone signal from the app store by In pocket Software to get exact readings on your phone signal strength on 2 3 & 4g.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@James_nz7 wrote:

If you've moved from a 3g supplier to 4G with virgin your problem might be the same as mine.

The 4G masts provided by EE that virgin are using are not fully upgraded yet. I live out in the country so am not high priority.

If you change your settings from 4G to 3g you may see a vastly improved phone signal for voice calls.

Download an app such as Phone signal from the app store by In pocket Software to get exact readings on your phone signal strength on 2 3 & 4g.

I'm sure the previous poster means well, but I'm not sure about this at all.

I'm not sure where the "masts not being fully upgraded" comes from - it's true to say that 4G800 is only available to EE & BT-Mobile customers (and that the EE coverage checker doesn't currently differentiate) - but other than that, there shouldn't be any difference in your basic coverage. If coverage in your area comes from 800MHz, then that will remain unavailable for as long as EE's policy is as it is, and I don't personally see that changing quickly.

You simply should not need to force your phone onto 3G-only/no-4G/2G-only or anything else, to improve your coverage. The network and phone should do this for you, and if you feel the need to - you have a fault. I've seen some anecdotal comments on other forums that some iOS versions now explicitly prevent this. It is often better to have 1-bar of 4G signal than 5 bars of 3G, so by doing this you could be weakening your data service in exchange for a perceived improvement in voice coverage.

From recent experience, I know the lack of 4G800 is not something MVNOs like admitting to or drawing attention to (can't say I blame them, they may even genuinely not realise), so maybe some phone-CS reps are giving what they're probably sure is good advice in an attempt to explain this.

Ronh1
Joining in
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Right. So lots of comments on the fact that Virgin are not able to offer 4G to everywhere. So people have suggested changing the phone to 2G or 3G to see if that can improve phone call reception. As data can be on the house WiFi.

I can't change my phone over to 2 or 3G. It wont allow me.

So any ideas how to get hold of someone in Virgin who can actually make a difference? When I called last time, eventually I was put through to Sales!!! After several minutes of trying to speak english to someone as slowly as I could in one syllable or less! 

Thanks

Ronh1

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The previous poster has commented that they have house WiFi, on some other providers this would allow them access to WiFi calling - unfortunately Virgin don't currently offer anything for this, they could use a WiFi calling app such as WhatsApp or Messenger in the meantime. The plus point is that I have a feeling one of Virgin's USPs for mobile is of social-media data being zero-rated, not sure if this would work? The downside is obviously having to use an app rather than the native phone dialler/messages.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

WhatsApp messages and voice messages are zero rated for mobile data. WhatsApp Calls are not - they would use mobile data when placed over that.

WhatsApp calls when your mobile device is connected to WiFi don't count towards mobile data usage.

That applies for Facebook Messenger too.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Ronh1
Joining in
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You may be right. the biggest problem with using Apps such as "Whats App" is that you have to be connected to the other party in the first place. But that's no good to me. I want to talk to agencies, and they want to talk to me. So this is making my job search almost impossible! To get round this I have had to get a land line contract.

0 Kudos
mavericke2018
Superfast
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Apart from the LTE Band 3 (1800mhz+), I have realised that VM is also running on the LTE Band 7 (2600mhz) in my area. Not too bad indeed. It is sad that VM does not support Wifi calling and 4G calling natively. However, I think £25 a month for everything unlimited is quite a good plan though. You could also argue that 3UK is better and they offer the same for everything unlimited. Best of all, 3UK support 4G calling and wifi calling as well, same goes to EE and other major mobile providers in the UK.
0 Kudos
Ronh1
Joining in
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi

So anyone I can contact to improve the mobile phone coverage in my area please?

Thanks

0 Kudos