cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call no sound

vcarrabin
Joining in

I have an intermittent problem when receiving calls on my mobile. I can hear the caller but they can't hear me. Often they hang up and call back and this fixes the problem. I also try restarting my handset but the problem still recurs.

I use a galaxy A10 handset but also tried the SIM in an iPhone 5s and got the same problem.

It has happened in different locations and at with different callers.  It is not a signal issue as the call connects fine but there is absolutely no sound at all from the start of the call.

It's having an affect now I'm working from home and I am missing work calls. Help please.

78 REPLIES 78

It is a problem. And it's network side but they don't have a clue as to what but won't admit it.

Martin_N has had this assigned for 2 months+

Here are the issue when changed without asking to VodaF:

• People can't hear me on calling me (reversed when switched back to EE)
  • WiFi Calling options don't appear on handset despite it being sold by Vodafone
  • Wifi VoLTE does not appear when on VodaF

Switched back to EE, now the caller hearing problem is now reversed, it takes 15-20 minutes on reboot of phone to agree a cell tower, I don't expect VoLTE to appear when on EE anyway so not counting this one, WiFi Calling still now working.

Virgin sent new SIM even though it was new anyway, and another is on the way.

Two new models of 5G handset that are all UK bands (Given to family as Xmas presents) were tried and an iPhone - ALL had the same issues.

If I pop an O2 or EE (native) SIM in any of the phones - WiFi calling works, VoLTE works and callers hear me, and cell towers negotiate within seconds after rebooting of phone!

Appreciate Martin_N is trying to resolve with various departments, but so far "handset issue" is starting to grate after being patient during this time.

On the Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite 5G, I was able to provision WIFI calling by doing this (do not mess with other menu options other than what is stated):

Step 1 Go to your phone keypad dialler and type in:

*#*#4636#*#*
Scroll down until you see WiFi calling provisioned if you can't toggle to on proceed to step 2

Step 2 Return to the phone dialler and type in

*#*#869434#*#*

Go to the phone dialler and do step 1 again, and for SIM1 (assuming your SIM is SIM1), select "Phone Information1" from the menu shown, then select 'Phone0' from drop down and you'll see that "WiFi Provisioned" is now saying "ON" instead of "OFF"

The WiFi Calling options now expose themself in Settings > SIM CARDS & MOBILE NETWORKS > [SIM1] >MAKE CALLS USING WI-FI

The SIMs tried from other mobile operators must do this network side and Virgin are not.

Thanks for your post and update, unisoft,

To clarify, is this occurring on standard mobile calls or WIFi Calls?

Cheers,

Corey C

Mobile calls as Virgin couldn't even configure the phone to enable Wifi Calling without the manual steps I have detailed but other operator SIMs could!

A telecomms company that should know more than a customer!

Following on from my previous message on enabling WiFi calling for Xiaomi Android 11, this will enable video calling AND VoLTE.

NOTE: VoLTE is only supported on VodaF network not Virgin on the EE network (even though the option will still appear)

and for Video Call Provisioning AND VoLTE (yes, I know not on EE only VodaF) these key combinations:

Step 1 Go to Phone keypad dialler and type in:

*#*#4636#*#*
Scroll down until you see VoLTE provisioned and check its "OFF"

Step 2 Return to the phone dialler and type in:

*#*#86583#*#*

Go to the Phone dialler and do step 1 again, and for SIM1 (assuming SIM is in SIM1 slot), select "Phone Information1" from the menu shown, then select 'Phone0' from drop down and VoLTE Provisioning and Video Calling Provisioning are now all enabled.

Obviously VoLTE is better togged to 'off' by the android peg option when on EE in the Android Settings > SIM CARDS & MOBILE NETWORKS > [SIM1] > Use VoLTE

Luke7710
On our wavelength

Glad I have come across this thread! I have 2 mobile phones in the household with the exact same problem, callers cannot hear me or I can't hear them. Yes I have rebooted the devices etc and still the same issue.

The second phone has a brand new SIM card so I know it's not a SIM issue. Lokking at everyone elses issue, this is something to do with the network

My problem was fixed after I had a replacement SIM although not immediately afterwards. It took a couple of days. It leads me to believe it was actually nothing to do with the SIM or the phone but something to do with the settings by the network and completely outside my control. The phone has been working fine now for a couple of months.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Luke7710, sorry to hear you've had the same issue with your numbers.

Due to the migration from EE to Vodafone networks - sometimes a replacement SIM will force that migration and subsequently resolve any issues the number may have been impacted by previously. That's not always the case, I'd like to take a look into this and see what we can do to hep - please look out for my PM (the purple envelope) and we'll be able to investigate further.

Tom 

mjsalternative
Joining in

This is still an ongoing problem as is quite obvious from the number of similar threads on this forum. Personally it is probably occurring around 50% of my calls which is massively annoying. There is a network-wide fault and it should be admitted.

I have six months on a Virgin contract and will leave at the first opportunity to a network that can actually support voice calls.

Hi @mjsalternative

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post in this thread regarding phone calls with no sound. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this and thinking of leaving us.

Can you please confirm for me if you have tried your SIM card in a different handset? Are you able to make voice calls then with no issues?

Thanks,

Serena

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Luke7710, we've just had an update regarding this issue: 

"There’s currently an issue on mobile where calls are connecting but the Virgin Mobile customer is silent or the other person cannot be heard. This has been raised."

...so fingers crossed those affected here will see this sorted out soon. I will update the thread with any further communications about it.

Tom