Menu
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone Plan and Android Phone Recommendations for a Child

At home, I lock down all devices on my local network using OpenDNS.

My elder daughter will be starting high school in September and she needs a mobile phone for sheer safety during travel. 

(1) I would like to lock her phone down to 4 or 5 phone numbers. (2) Android but cheap - this phone is not a fashion statement, it is intended to be functional. In fact the uglier the better - less likely to be stolen! :-) (3) A little bit of data but not much.

What plan, PAYG/Monthly, would you recommend? What phone would to recommend? SIM and phone from VM, or SIM from VM and phone from eg Amazon?

Thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Plan and Android Phone Recommendations for a Child

I have no idea on your phone recommendations :-(

But do suggest you stay away from a monthly Virgin SIM plan, especially if going into a teenagers/child's phone, only suggest this because on Virgin monthly plans there is hardly no control for over spending (£50 minimum cap), if you have a check through threads on here (mobile and mobile account boards), you will notice it comes up a lot. 

For a monthly SIM plan, I suggest one like the Plusnet monthly (30 day) SIM plans where you can have a £2 over spend limit set on the account.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestions. The reason we want VM is that we have Virgin BB, landline, TV, and two VM £12pm contracts. TBH the phone isn't an issue. I can easilly research one for her. I'm just interested in VM plans that people can suggest.

0 Kudos
teabag
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No worries :-) was just a warning as I see yourself and also expect your family to all act responsibly, I did not want to see expensive phone bills come between you and your children.

I was also a bit worried on the part you said about with a little/limited data, the £6 monthly (12 month contract) comes with 500mb of data, but you'll only need about 200mb used before you may be hit with the bug in the system which charges when you have sub 300 or 200mb of data left  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/3-daily-charges-for-data-when-i-st...

All Virgin upto date monthly SIM's available are listed here  https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim/?contractDuration=12&tariffID=774716288

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos