Menu
Highlighted
StephSanderson
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Perfect credit score rejected for iPhone XR

I've just been informed that I have been rejected for the iPhone XR based on my credit score, but I can pay more each more to boost it and qualify.  I'm all for responsible lending, it is 100% the right thing to do.  But Virgin is scamming customers, and here's why ...

I have a perfect credit score.  Literally.  Full score with every agency.  I just checked them all to confirm.  No one at Virgin Mobile can tell me why my credit score was rejected (because there is no legitimate reason).  All they can tell me is that I can take a cheaper phone or pay more to get the iPhone.  Oh, and get annoyed with me when I keep asking for an explanation or to speak with someone who can give me an explanation.

So, here are my assumptions based on my experience;

1.  The iPhone deals advertised online are click-bait.  They do not exist but are used to lure customers in and charge them more.

2.  Virgin Mobile is not operating with a transparent pricing structure.

3.  Virgin Mobile is treating its customers unfairly.

4.  Virgin Mobile is unethical.

I'd be delighted to hear from someone in Virgin Mobile who can explain this (without the party line of 'responsible lending'), or from others who have had a similar experience.  I'll be reporting my experience to OfCom and the Office of Fair Trading.

Thanks

Steph

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Perfect credit score rejected for iPhone XR

VM use an internal credit check before doing a check with credit reference agencies. Did you see a check by VM when you checked the agencies?

If not its likely the internal "check" you have "failed".

As no one seems to know the criteria, all we have are external observations- it LOOKS like the more you spend with them monthly across all services the "better" your internal credit score.

Kind of the opposite of responsible lending to be fair....

0 Kudos
StephSanderson
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Interesting! So more of a minimum spend limit than a credit score.

You're right, the opposite of responsible lending and definitely not a transparent pricing structure/customer service model!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi StephSanderson,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. We only use an internal credit check on our Sim and tariff deals only not on our handsets.

We use external credit checks through Equafax for all our handsets sales.

Unfortunately as we cannot see why your credit check has failed you will need to speak to Equafax for further information on this matter.

Kind regards Jodi.

0 Kudos