cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG purple sim card and jam packs

suechapman
Dialled in

i have been a virgin mobile customer for a very long time on PAYG i had a red sim card and then last year was sent one of the new purple sim cards so i changed it over in my phone and moved onto the daily plan and i have since bought jam packs which renew each month taking money from my balance ......i have just been reading that virgin are stopping the PAYG sim cards this year but i havent heard anything offically myself ..is this true?

if i change over to a sim only pay monthly plan im resuming they will send me out another sim card but a i have one of the purple sim cards could i just carry on using the existing sim card that is working fine in my phone with no problems or do i have to change cards over 

hope some one can answer me 

sue 

5 REPLIES 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, PAYG is set to close in stages from October 17th. You will be sent a text with the date around 3 months beforehand.

With regards to the SIM card it should technically work, but Virgin may still replace it.

Any new contract and you will be running on the Vodafone network and not EE as present, so check coverage.

Not sure what phone you have but just to note if it does not do 4G you may like to know that 3G is being phased out across the networks in the next 18 months

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

so they will notify me in advance then 

my phone is a samsung a21s which i bought last year so im presuming it is 4g ready 

the purple sim that is in my phone now that i had last year is that 4g too but i only get 3g at the moment because im on PAYG ...is that right

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's a 4G phone so no problem. 

Virgin PAYG only does 3G, the last network to do so.

You should be notified

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

but is my purple sim 4g ready that is in my phone now and if i change over to a sim only pay monthly plan that it would just kick in and use the same sim card and all the settings would be the same like for going abroad etc or would i need to do something to activate all that again 

also how do i change to a sim only pay monthly plan ?

Thanks for coming back to us @suechapman.

I can see on another thread that you have been able to get your issues resolved.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L