cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG ending - Procedure to get refund of PAYG credit after requesting PAC code - Please help

PG144
On our wavelength

I have had a Virgin mobile PAYG sim card since 2001 - yes 20 years - and I was disappointed when I received text notification of the decision by Virgin to end the PAYG service. I called 789 a few weeks ago, and a helpful person explained what was happening and gave me an outline of my options.

My usage now consists of a few calls and texts, and no data, so I need a simple PAYG service. To get this I found I would need to change provider.

So I rang 789 yesterday to request a PAC code and organise getting a refund of the credit on my account.  The phone call took a long time, and I was not confident in the outcome - no PAC code was given to me in the call, but I was told one would arrive by text - this was different to what I had been offered in my previous call.

So later in the evening I logged in to my online account and requested a PAC code, which was available almost instantly However I was disappointed to see a message in a 'breakdown of what you may be charged for your switch...' saying my credit is non-refundable.

I also received a text message with the same PAC code shortly after and this also says  '... your Pay As You Go credit balance is £n,nn. Unfortunately we won't be able to refund this if you leave.'  

In the phone call earlier in the day, I was told that a refund to the card registered on my online account would be made automatically. 

None of this seems to tally with the information on the virginmedia.com/paygupdate page.

So please tell me, how do I use the PAC code to switch to another provider and get my credit balance refunded?

17 REPLIES 17

PG144
On our wavelength
Hi newapollo.
Thanks for the help

PG144
On our wavelength

Hi John_GS

Thanks for your pm. I sent you a reply last night - please let me know if you need further information.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PG144

Thanks for getting back to John, he is on the late shift today and I shall notify him of your response as soon as he's in 🙂

Kind regards,

Serena

PG144
On our wavelength

Hi Serena

Many thanks for letting me know.

Kind regards

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Happy to help! John will be back in touch with you asap 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena

PG144
On our wavelength

Hi Serena_C and John_GS

For your information

For your information

While waiting to find out about the procedure for getting the refund, I have posted another question under the following heading 

PAYG ending - Can PAC code for PAYG number be used after January 11?

Essentially my PAC code was generated online on 5 January 2022 and was stated to be valid until 3 Feb 2022.  
My question is given that the PAYG service is ending on 11 January, do I really have until 3 Feb 2022 to use the PAC code and transfer my number to another provider or do I need to do something in the next couple of days?

Hi PG144 thanks for getting back to us.

I can see that you've sent a private message regarding this matter.  So to not confuse matters, I will leave this in the capable hands of my colleague.

Regards

Lee_R

PG144
On our wavelength

Thanks  Lee_R

The private message to John_GS was a reply to his message about helping with the refund of my credit balance.  Will John_GS be in today?

As the PAYG service is due to end on January 11, I am concerned about both keeping my number using the PAC code, and the refund of my credit balance.

What will happen if these matters have not been sorted out by January 11?

Will I still be able to use the PAC codeuntil the quoted date of 3 February?

Will Virgin refund my credit balance?