cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG ending - Can PAC code for PAYG number be used after January 11?

PG144
On our wavelength

I have a PAC code for my PAYG number. This PAC code was generated online on 5 January 2022 and was stated to be valid until 3 Feb 2022.   

I have not used the PAC code yet as I am waiting on confirmation of how the refund of my credit balance is to be handled (subject of another post )

Given that the PAYG service is ending on 11 January, do I really have until 3 Feb 2022 to use the PAC code and transfer my number to another provider or do I need to do something in the next couple of days?

24 REPLIES 24

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If I was you I would get my number transferred pronto to be on the safe side of keeping it. February may well be too late. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PG144
On our wavelength

Thanks enli

That's what I want to do - but I am already waiting for a response about refunding my credit balance.

I was looking for a Virgin representative to answer what I think is a very simple question.

Can my PAC code which is quoted as valid until 3 Feb 2022 be used to transfer my number to another provider after January 11?  

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think you have another thread on this. It is better to keep to one as it only causes confusion.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

G4DDS
Well-informed

Just had this conversation with Virgin CS and if it's not transferred before Tuesday you have lost the number regardless of the 3rd Feb date.

I was hoping to transfer a pay as you go to a pay monthly but as my father doesn't have an account that a direct debit can be setup on then I am stuffed as well. I have the PAC but now need to work out how to transfer this over before Tuesday!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Volt 1Gb
Equipment: 3 x V6, Hub 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@G4DDS wrote:

I was hoping to transfer a pay as you go to a pay monthly but as my father doesn't have an account that a direct debit can be setup on then I am stuffed as well. I have the PAC but now need to work out how to transfer this over before Tuesday!

As long as you set a PAC in motion tomorrow or Monday you should be OK.

You could pick up a cheap SIM from a Supermarket and PAC onto that. You can then PAC that to something more permanent later on.

PG144
On our wavelength

Hi G4DDS

I had a similar conversation with a lady on 789 this afternoon. The problem is that the 789 staff try to be helpful, but on more than one occasion I have found I have been told one thing by one person  and a different thing by another.

If it is the case it that porting must be completed before January 11, it makes a nonsense of the Virgin website which told me the PAC code was valid until 3 Feb 02, and also the text message I received from Virgin which gave the same date. 

In other documents I have read, the emphasis seemed to be on requesting the PAC code (requesting not using ) within three months of receiving notification of the ending of the service - in my case the first text about the PAYG service ending I received was in October or November. When the ending of the service was announced earlier last year the time period was quoted as between October 2021 and February 2022. 

It is ironic that January 11 is a Tuesday, as all the mobile operator sites I have looked at state that any porting request made after on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday will be completed on a Tuesday. 

Perhaps Virgin's system can be set up so that porting to other providers  is still allowed within the normal 30 day timescale even after they no longer provide the PAYG 'service' to their customers.

We need a clear statement from Virgin on this - I had hoped that the Virgin representatives who help on this forum would be able to provide one.

If such a statement doesn't already exist, I had hoped they would be able to obtain a clear written statement from the company that would help their customers and their own staff.  

PG144
On our wavelength

Hi again enlli

The problem is that we need to 'know' what the situation is.

Saying we 'should' be ok is not very definite, when 789 staff are saying otherwise.

G4DDS
Well-informed

@enlli wrote:

@G4DDS wrote:

As long as you set a PAC in motion tomorrow or Monday you should be OK.

You could pick up a cheap SIM from a Supermarket and PAC onto that. You can then PAC that to something more permanent later on.

I thought you had to get a SIM with there temporary number and then PAC onto it once it was up and running. Are you saying I can get a cheap SIM tell them the PAC as I order it and the SIM will arrive with the old number on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Volt 1Gb
Equipment: 3 x V6, Hub 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The PAC code is valid for 30 days provided the donor number is still active at the time you give it to the new supplier. You can't PAC from a closed number however long the code has to run.

That's how PAC have always worked from day 1 of their introduction.