cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG £2 plan

Keith772
On our wavelength

When Virgin changed all the sims my 'phone became A £2 a day plan on T Mobile.  What happens when Virgin PAYG ends.  789 customer service still links to Virgin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Keith772 wrote:

Thanks that's really helpful.  I will just wait and see what happens.  Its  a backup phone which became T Mobile when I put the new sim in so it might be an ee sim

Yes, if it's an old phone it won't have been programmed with the EE name, so would show either T-Mobile or Orange.

Be aware that older phones will be fine for voice and texts until 2033, but 3G data capable devices will become 2G only before then as 3G is being switched off in favour of 4G and 5G.

When that happens depends on the network you're on - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/all-public-2g-and-3g-uk-mobile-services-switched-off-b...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

According to your last post you were moving to BT as the PAYG SIM was disconnected already?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/cannot-make-calls/m-p/4758677#M289...

If that's the case then the closure of Virgin Mobile PAYG shouldn't affect you now.

Keith772
On our wavelength

Yes BT is great customer service but this is second phone.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
T-Mobile isn't a network in the UK anymore. What was T-Mobile is now part of EE (and are owned by BT).

So if you still have a Virgin Mobile PAYG SIM, it will stop working soon, but if the phone is unlocked you can put whatever SIM you like in it.

If it's an EE SIM, then it won't be affected by the closure of Virgin Mobile PAYG.

Keith772
On our wavelength

Thanks that's really helpful.  I will just wait and see what happens.  Its  a backup phone which became T Mobile when I put the new sim in so it might be an ee sim

Please keep us updated on how you get on Keith772

Gareth_L

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Keith772 wrote:

Yes, if it's an old phone it won't have been programmed with the EE name, so would show either T-Mobile or Orange.

Be aware that older phones will be fine for voice and texts until 2033, but 3G data capable devices will become 2G only before then as 3G is being switched off in favour of 4G and 5G.

When that happens depends on the network you're on - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/all-public-2g-and-3g-uk-mobile-services-switched-off-b...

Keith772
On our wavelength

Hi Gareth,

Just had a text to say the 'T mobile' service I have end on Monday.  Tried to log into my account to be told the system does not recognise me.  However it has given me a PAC code.  Sad to be leaving PAYG with Virgin after nearly 20 years but retired and only need the phone for emergencies.

Regards, Keith.

Hi Keith, 

You can migrate over to O2 now 

That way you are still kind of with us 

Thanks for your loyalty 

Gareth_L