Menu
Poohs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Overseas issues since new SIM

Hi,

I've searched the forum but cant find anybody with exactly the same problem:

Since recieving the new SIMs Virgin sent out a short while ago, I have a problem with 2 of the 3 SIMs I have on Virgin.  When they arrived, everything seemed to be fine but when I then went overseas, 2 of them did the following:

1. Switched on phone on arrival overseas
2. Phone started, showed "searching networks" then showed "emergency calls".  A short while after that, showed "SIM updated" and then appeared to be working exactly as normal.

Later that day, I switched one of my phones off and a few days later switched it back on, and as it started it showed "searching networks" but then showed "invalid SIM" and refused to do anything.  Tried multiple times on-off cycling but nothing.

This happened in exactly the same way with SIM 2, but SIM 3 was absolutely fine.

On return to the UK, the 2 SIMs that "locked" on "invalid SIM" continued to show "invalid SIM".  I eventually got them to work again by swapping them in to the phone with the working SIM (SIM 3) which went through the "SIM updated" cycle and then were fine.

To complicate matters, when I next went abroad, I experienced the same thing but after SIM 1 "locked-up", as a precaution I made sure the phone with SIM 2 in it was never switched off whilst overseas, so it worked fine whilst away and logged back on to Virgin's network no problem when returning to the UK.  SIM 3 needed to be placed in to the phone SIM 1 is normally in before it would log on to Virgin's network.

I imagine some of you will be thinking "just keep your phone on all the time", which is a fair point but doesnt fit with how I use my phones.  However, prior to the SIM change Virgin inflicted on us I did not have this issue.

Finally, please be aware that I do not have smart phones - mine are "dumb-phones" capable of voice calls and texting only, so a "factory reset" or some other type of reset associated with much more complicated devices is not an option.  Also, they are all Virgin branded devices bought from Virgin so this shouldnt be an unlocking issue.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overseas issues since new SIM

Hi Poohs,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've been having issues with 2 of the SIM's, I can appreciate how frustrating this would be whilst you're abroad.

Can I ask what handsets you are currently using with the SIMs?

Do you have any issues when in the UK or is it just abroad?

Let us know and we'll see what we can do to help.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Poohs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your reply.

I have no problems at all in the UK other than getting the SIM cards that have "locked-out" whilst abroad to work again when back in the UK.  As described before, I now have a reliable technique for this which is to swap the "locked-out" SIMs in to the phone (and SIM combination) that doesnt give me any problems abroad or in the UK (as I previously described the full scenario of what happens in my last post I wont repeat everything I said !).

The phones I use are all Virgin branded VM595 "dumb phones", bought from Virgin Mobile.  I have had these phones for several years now and, as stated before, prior to the new SIMs Virgin issued recently, I never had any problems with them working abroad including switching them off and on.

I hope you can find a solution and look forward to your reply.

Many thanks,

Poohs.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Poohs,

Thank you for getting back to us and confirming these details.

Before going abroad, have you ensured that you've activated roaming for your mobile account? You can do this by giving us a call, or heading to your online account to switch on Roaming and switch off International Call Barring.

Just to clarify, you should be able to perform a factory reset on this or any other handset, it doesn't have to be a smart phone. You can find step-by-step instructions for this on our dedicated VM595 help page. This site also provides further device support and troubleshooting. Have you had a look at this at all?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Poohs
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael,

I have checked these settings repeatedly (just in case they were being randomly changed) and they remained at all times as required for overseas roaming.

The help page is ambiguous in my opinion - whilst it has a section "Perform factory reset", if you look in the actual phone menu the help page refers to it is in fact titled "Restore factory settings".

As I will not be leaving the UK for a while now, I wont be able to tell if a "Restore factory settings" execution makes any difference, but I will try it ASAP.

In the meantime, may I stress again that a) I did not have this problem before Virgin issued the new SIMs and b) why does it affect 2 of the SIMs but not the third regardless of whichever physical phone they are installed in ?  If it was a phone issue, why doesnt it affect all 3 SIMs ?

Thanks,

Poohs.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Poohs.

Performing a factory reset and restoring factory settings refer to the same process. I do apologise for any confusion around this.

I'd like to take a closer look in to this, so I'll pop you a private message requesting some more information.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos