cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus Nord Not Receiving 5G

Xeon5
Tuning in

Hi all.

Since Virgin have switched over to 5G I haven't yet received any 5G signal on my OnePlus Nord. I have checked the manufacturer website and the signal bands being used by VM and both support n78.

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/nord-specs

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/virgin-mobile-5g

I have tried the usual reset my phone, etc.

At the moment does VM only support 5G phones that they supply? Should I of received any new settings via text message for the phone to be setup?

I did receive a message from VM a few weeks ago to say my plan has 5G even though I am on Oomph 15GB.

55 REPLIES 55

Hmm OK, have you tried turning off the Smart 5G option, this will likely stop 5G connecting unless the device is doing a large amount of data transfer!

So this is where current 5G standards can get complex, Vodafone's network in your area may not be using the N78 band and might be broadcasting using DSS on Band 1 (N1), but it's unclear what devices can support this and what support is required to connect.

I know the above is a bit advanced so I'll try simplify it a bit,

5G comes in 3 different versions, there is a Standalone (NR-SA) version that is not yet activated, it operates as a single network and connects without need for 4G, there is then Non-Standalone (NR-NSA) which is most common across the world which add 5G spectrum to work with 4G to provide my download speed and there is Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (NR-DSS) where 4G and 5G share the same signal.

Lately in your region I've been seeing a lot of reports that Vodafone have been turning on NR-DSS however not all devices support it and to be honest it has disadvantages for overall performance though will enable fast speeds, however Vodafone also has coverage using NR-NSA operating at Band N78 which I would expect you to be able to connect.

Looking around your local area I can find all Vodafone masts are monopoles which I've yet too see any with 5G enabled as they generally need additional cell panels to be added and these setups don't have space for them, so I'm lead to believe that Vodafone haven't rolled out NR-NSA here but have enabled DSS on one of the poles and your device is unable to take advantage of it or is not working as it should.

My suspicion is that the mast next to Tesco here is the one enabled with NR-DSS and is the one you connect to from the postcode above, I would say Virgin needs to look into confirming if coverage is in fact using N78 or DSS N1/N8

The Giggitty 1

JitteryPinger
Super solver

@Xeon5did you get any further with getting 5G on your Nord?

The Giggitty 1

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Vodafone are employing DSS on 2.1Ghz in some areas  but it is hard to get definite information as to where.

I can see this causing problems where 2 users in the same area get different reception depending on the phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have a contact in Vodafone, I will try reach out to them for more information on DSS, things are a bit complicated with 5G due to different vendors across different regions and also licensing and restrictions.

Having looked into the area above it would appear DSS as the checker quotes a maximum of 255mbps instead of 850mbps.

I've been testing Vodafone's 5G extensively the past couple months however I'm yet to get down south where Nokia/Ericsson kit is in use, so far I've done a lot of Birmingham (Huawei N78) and a bit of Ericsson up north (O2 territory for CTIL)

Many restrictions for new licenses, main issue that is currently unclear but likely is that existing Huawei 5G will not see improvements from recent spectrum awarded and will be waiting for vendor swap.

The Giggitty 1

Xeon5
Tuning in

Sorry for the late reply. Nothing has changed and nothing seems to work so I believe it is Virgin not allowing certain phones to use 5G.

Whats your area please?
The Giggitty 1

Bristol but as stated before it doesn't matter if I am in a good 5G area it still doesn't show. I am starting to think that the access to 5G is locked to devices that only VM support. It wouldn't matter if I had a Pixel 4a 5G or any other 5G device I still won't get a connection.

Though I could be wrong. Does anyone here have a non-VM 5G device that can or can't receive it?

I'm looking at a theory where Virgin Media sims may not be getting access to certain types of 5G yet, as mentioned previously there is two types currently rolled out.

However I do think you may be correct about the device support, however I've means of trying to test this myself if the sim switches network.

The Giggitty 1

Thought I would check in and ask if you found out anything yet? Hope all is well.

Hello Xeon5

I can have a look into this for you

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L