cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus Nord Not Receiving 5G

Xeon5
Tuning in

Hi all.

Since Virgin have switched over to 5G I haven't yet received any 5G signal on my OnePlus Nord. I have checked the manufacturer website and the signal bands being used by VM and both support n78.

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/nord-specs

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/virgin-mobile-5g

I have tried the usual reset my phone, etc.

At the moment does VM only support 5G phones that they supply? Should I of received any new settings via text message for the phone to be setup?

I did receive a message from VM a few weeks ago to say my plan has 5G even though I am on Oomph 15GB.

55 REPLIES 55

JitteryPinger
Super solver

Have you checked coverage in your area.

The Giggitty 1

Xeon5
Tuning in

I have checked coverage for each area I have been in and it has been good for both indoors and outdoors. Does Virgin not provide support for 5G on certain devices even if they support the technology?

Is there anyway to know if the SIM card even supports it as I know sometimes a new SIM needs to be provided?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you been switched over to the Vodafone network rather than the present EE?

If not then you won't get 5G. 

Present SIM cards are OK post switch

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Xeon5
Tuning in

Is there anyway for me to find that out? I checked the SIM settings under network and couldn't see anything.

Hello Xeon5 download and install any of the app. nperf or OpenSignal. I prefer nperf. This will let you know all you need to know.

Joe

Another way to check is to do a manual network search from mobile settings and if it shows Vodafone and Virgin it would suggest your still on EE or if it will show EE and Virgin if you've moved across.

The Giggitty 1

I have the same issue. Rang Virgin Customer Support and was sent a new SIM but still not seeing any 5G networks. Rang Customer Support again and was told I would need a new SIM.........still waiting a call back, it's been over a month.

Sim status shows Virgin 4G

nperf shows provider is Virgin, network is Vodafone

Network operators:- Virgin4g/3g/2g, O2 - UK 4g/3g/2g, EE 2g/3g/4g, 3 UK 4G

Hi Matt,

Due to nature of 5G rollout in the UK currently, it doesn't show as a network when manually searching.

The 5G 'should' connect when your device is connected to a 4G mast with 5G enabled as it used 4G as an anchor to connect with 5G.

Please note that while in 5G coverage area, it is possible that the mast your device connects to isn't 5G enabled and currently won't connect with 5G until the 4G connection is lined up with a 5G enabled mast.

The Giggitty 1

Hello Mattg68

Thanks for posting in regards to your OnePlus Nord and not being able to connect to 5G, we appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of this.

As JitteryPinger has advised, are you able to try the handset in different locations? Do you have any family or friends who can get 5G so we know that the mast you're connecting to supports it?

There is some advice here and a coverage checker also to help locate 5g area's.

Rob