cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One account, two phones, two different SIM cards... 5G or not 5G?

AdamAnalogue
On our wavelength

I have a VM account with two phones and two different SIM cards - one is "Ultimate Oomph Unlimited SIM" and the other "Media Unlimited mins + 15GB". I've called VM Mobile to ask whether the cards are 5G enabled. First contact centre person said the latter card is enabled, the former not. After a few days I got in touch with VM again via the medium of "WhatsApp". They told me that both cards are enabled. My house is, as far as I can tell, not in a VM 5G area at the moment.

How can I tell which of my SIM cards is 5G enabled? Is one EE and one Vodafone?

5 REPLIES 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most cards have now been swapped over to Vodafone. To be honest there is no such thing as a 5G SIM. I've had an old Giffgaff SIM moved over recently.

5G will be dependant on being in a 5G area and 5G being selected in your network types. Check if that now appears on your phone.

I have found a problem with Motorola who do not yet support 5G on Virgin. Not sure if there are other makes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. Two brand new Samsung A52s 5G phones with 5G selected. As I've seen from other posts on the community, VM are not good at communicating 5G compatibility. If the account and SIM cards are both 5G enabled, why can't they just say that? I don't understand why this basic info isn't on my online Virgin Mobile account.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The vast majority of phones are compatible. The fault with Motorola appears to lie with them as they have admitted they don't work on Sky, Virgin and ID Mobile and will require an update. 

Samsung with UK firmware are fine. Although not listed I'm think your phone can handle WiFi Calling and VoLTE too.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AdamAnalogue, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 

I am sorry you are having issues with your sims. I can take a look for you to clarify this for you.

I will pop you over a PM.

Zoie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for messaging with me AdamAnalogue, 

Please keep us posted when your sim arrives 🙂 

Zoie